Boss Should Be Fired, Not Me!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being fired:

My boss did not train me properly and misguided me. She did not attend to any of my questions and when I sent in my expenses,she did not check to see if there was a mistake. When I asked her, I had no idea what I was doing.

She did not look through my expenses before approving them and sending them to the accounting department. The accounting department noticed my expenses and she told them it was my fault and I was trying to expense on the company’s money. She called me and said she never checks them and she isn’t going to take the blame.I advised her she never trained me and I reached out to her before.

She lied to my face and said I didn’t! The next thing I know she is calling me with HR on a conference call and told me I am fired, without a cause! She has done this before to the employee before me and has been reported to HR in Canada. But when I had a call it was from the HR in States (our company is based in USA, but we have another location in Canada) I will like to know if I can still report her? Please help!

Unfairly Fired

Answer:

Dear Unfairly Fired:

I’m sorry about this unpleasant situation and can imagine you are frustrated and angry, if you feel you made a mistake through no fault of your own.Even though you were fired, the management of your former business may want to know about problems in the workplace. You can write a letter describing what went wrong and why and send it to HR as well as your former supervisor’s manager. It won’t make a difference in your dismissal and there is a chance they may think it is just retaliation. But, maybe they have other information and will add yours to it.Keep in mind, about your own dismissal, that an employer can hire and fire as they choose, unless you are protected in some way by a contract or your company has a requirement for a series of steps leading up to dismissal. Even then, those steps can be skipped if the matter is considered to be serious.In your situation, you were dismissed for issues related to expenses you submitted, which would be considered serious in most places. So, when your supervisor had a conference call with HR and you, you can be sure she had submitted all the paperwork needed and her own manager had approved the dismissal.Hopefully this will never happen again, but if you ever again have a manager who doesn’t seem to be training you correctly and doesn’t answer your questions about important matters such as expense accounts, safety issues, approval for days off and vacations, etc (all the offenses that can result in firing) send an email or text and have a record that you asked and were told the wrong information. Or, contact someone else and get additional information.At the very least, push for more information from your supervisor. In this case you might have said, “Lisa, I’m getting ready to turn in my expense report but I’m still not sure what I can submit. Would you look at it and make sure I’m on track before I send it officially?” Even though your manager should have trained you, when it comes to money, go further and find out more about anything that could be even the least bit problematic.I hope you quickly find another job where you can show that you are capable, honest and dependable. There are many good supervisors and managers and they value employees who fulfill all the requirements of the job in a pleasant and cooperative way. Best wishes to you.