Career Advice For A College Grad

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about career advice for a college grad: 

I am a 23 year old university student. I am currently a senior and have hopes of graduating by next fall. I have had numerous part-time jobs in the past, but have not worked for about a year. Some of the jobs include working at a window installer and a restaurant.  The problem I am experiencing has to do with communicating with future employers about my past work.

One of the questions I have concerns my resume. How should I list the contacts for these jobs? Or should I even mention working at these places? What other things should I put on my resume?

Another concern I have is how to get back into the workplace. Having not worked for about a year, I am not sure where to start. Should I look for an internship through the school or should I seek employment elsewhere? I suppose I am in need of career advice in general and any help would be much appreciated.

Nearing Graduation

Answer from Guest Respondent, Christopher Niktin:

Dear Nearing Graduation:

Seeking career advice–especially career advice for after college graduation, is a wise move. I have spoken with some of my colleagues and we agree that putting any legitimate job you have had in your past would be wise on your resume. Especially a large corporation, such as the one you mentioned.

References are also important so make sure to contact your past employers and let them know you will be giving their names. Don’t just name places and dates in which you were employed; describe the jobs and skills you acquired.

Another wise option to consider is to get an internship in your field of study. An internship or volunteer work always looks great on a resume to show employers you can do a job and then finish it. Make your resume appealing to the business for where you’re applying to.

If there is a career-center at your university, they will gladly help with tips on how to make your resume stand out. The most important thing to do is to have confidence moving forward. Once you collectively list all that you have accomplished you will be reassured that whatever interview you go into, your resume will become your best assistant.

For your last concern, I would recommend looking online, in newspapers, and at conferences. Get a student membership in the kind of association of a career you want to enter. Networking is also important because a job can come from a recommendation from someone else. It’s becoming tougher to find a job these days, but by keeping an eye out for opportunities, you’ll eventually find one. Be ready to have an interview the next day if you get a call back. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us back.

Guest Respondent Christopher Niktin