Comments Made About My Slip Showing

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about groomig:

A number of times recently my slip has showed below my dress and although as soon as I am aware of the problem I go to the ladies room to pull it back up a certain co worker takes great delight in shouting out “Charlies Dead again, Sue”He will even follow me just to tell me that my slip is showing. He says it excites him seeing me just trying to correct the elastic waist band. I am worried about his behaviour and quite embarrassed. Is this normal male behaviour or should I report it? I do not want trouble.I have tried wearing a full slip so that it will not slide down below my dress but it is to hot and uncomfortable in the office. What is the best action to take?

Signed, Embarrassed

DearĀ Embarrassed:

There are two issues and at least two options about this situation. 1. The coworker is wrong to make remarks about your slip showing. (I wonder how old he is to use such an antiquated expression as “Charle’s Dead.” You don’t hear that very much nowadays.)Tell him to stop making such remarks because it’s embarrassing.

If he doesn’t stop, talk to your supervisor or manager about it. You can say it in a way that isn’t excessive. “Dan, stop that, please. It’s embarrassing. Don’t do it again.” If he argues about it or makes an excuse, say seriously, “I mean it. I don’t think it’s funny and I want you to stop. If you don’t, I’ll have to say something to Mr. Miller about it.”

The next time, go to your manager.Given his remarks, you now know what kind of person he is or at least you know that he is interested in you in ways that don’t relate to business. So, you may want to watch future interactions to ensure he doesn’t feel you are encouraging him.

2. I know it’s difficult to keep some slips above the hem, but your slip should not show. That is the kind of situation that seems like a double standard for women, and it also does not present you in the way you want to be seen by others. It could be that to some coworkers, having your slip showing, tugging at the elastic underneath your clothes, leaving to go to the bathroom, etc. etc. seems unprofessional and distracting, but they don’t feel they can comment on it. I was asked by a manager a few weeks ago how to approach an employee about the fact that her slip strap drooped down over the top of her arm many times a day. He viewed, and I agreed with him, that her excuse that the strap slipped uncontrollably was not acceptable. It is her responsibility to fix it so it won’t slip, won’t show and won’t be distracting.

In your case, even though I realize half slips can literally slip, you can purchase a short length or hand stitch the waist band to hold tighter or cut or hem the length. Rolling up the elastic or pulling it up won’t work, as you have found out.Once there is not slip showing that will reduce the remarks. Unfortunately, the juvenile antics that prompted the remarks by your coworker may continue. Make sure you let your coworker know what you think is stepping over the line of appropriate behavior. Don’t laugh at his remarks and don’t encourage them in any other way. If you are still feeling bothered by him, by all means talk to your manager about it. Best wishes with this situation!