Criteria for Awards

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about awards:

I am looking for criteria to determine the doctors who deserve rewards and recognitions in our acute care facility.

Signed, Needing Information

Dear Needing Information:

Hello! I think you will need a resource that is more focused specifically on medical staff and organizations. We are a workplace communications site. However, we have had requests similar to yours, so I can make a few suggestions. First, I suggest you check sites for critical care specialties, such as the Society for Critical Care and others. Often these organizations have heard it all when it comes to programs or practices.Another option is to contact facilities similar to yours to see what they are doing…and I’m sure you have done that already!

The way businesses and public sector organizations would approach it would be to identify the key competency/trait areas of a physician in that setting (For example, Professional Development, Professional Knowledge and Skill, Patient Relations, Staff Relations, Critical Care Leadership in the Community, Innovation, etc.) Those might vary because of the situation in a specific facility–and because I don’t know what the criteria might be! The next step is to put a description with each competency/trait title. What exactly does Staff Relations mean, for example. (Use words like, “Consistently….” “Can….” “Will….” “Has…” “Shows…” “Demonstrates_____through….”)

Those words and phrases allow you to identify specific actions that fit the title, so you can match those against the behavior and performance of each physician. Otherwise you’ll end up evaluating people based on nebulous things and only guessing about whether someone really demonstrates the quality, trait or competency

The next step would be to ensure that those who will be evaluating know what is standard and what is excellent and outstanding for those areas. You might want to provide them with a rubric, to use the term, giving a description for each level.Then, you would want to determine how each doctor fulfills the competency area, based on a scale of 1-5 or 1-10 or similar ratings. You could do that through surveys, reviews of work, resumes they submit, their education record, and other methods.Scores could then be tallied and the list could be ranked. There is obviously some nuances in there that would need to be worked out, but that is the essence of it.I think the key point is the one you made…that a criteria needs to be developed based on competencies and traits, and each physician should be evaluated as to how well they fulfill the criteria. That makes it much more objective and also can sometimes identify deserving people who might not have been considered if based solely on personality.

If this is developed appropriately and physicians want to be rewarded or recognized the criteria it can even become a benchmark for their own use, to see to what level they are fulfilling them.You might also consider announcing the criteria when they are established and asking staff members to provide specific and/or documented information related to each, if they have any. You probably had thought of all of that and more–but I wanted us to be as helpful as possible, even though the medical field is not our focus. Best wishes!