Evaluation–All As and One B

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a difficult coworker.                                         :

I was recently given my evaluation where I received all A’s except for 1 B. (A being the highest and D the lowest). My work product and performance are excellent according to the attorney I work for. The problem was the B where there is this one coworker on our team that I don’t get along with because she refuses to be trained (although everyone else has) and asks me to do the things that she refuses to be trained on. She always does this via email and has gone to my immediate supervisor to say that I am unapproachable. Any advice?

Signed, One B

Dear One B:

Your evaluation is near perfection. Are you sure that the only reason you have one B is the complaint by Ms. Unwilling? Is that what was written on your performance evaluation? Did you explain to the one who evaluated you that Ms. Unwilling shifts jobs she is unwilling to learn on to you?

You have a right to have a response to your evaluation inserted in your file. If you do so, express appreciation for the high marks and discomfort with the lower one. State that you are not unapproachable and that you are willing to prove that by a face-to-face meeting with her immediately.And you might add that perhaps since she made the “unapproachable” complaint that that face-to-face might best be conducted with the evaluator present where you each could lay your cards on the table and come to cooperative understanding about who does what. Does this make sense?Weight these thoughts or come up with a more creative solution.

Rather than harbor anger for what you believe is an unfair “tattling” to the boss, a proactive approach is to schedule private meeting with Ms. U. State your hope that you might work together in harmony and ask what you might do to make her work more effective and easier. Then tell you how disappointed you are that she made the “unapproachable” complaint rather than coming to you first. Ask how she would feel if you went to the boss to complain about her shifting jobs she was untrained to do? This should get you talking about how you might work cooperatively. Right?Please approach is with a positive and not a negative demeanor. Will you tell me if this makes sense and what you elect to do? And if it works? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.