Frustrated About No Raise

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a six month review that didn’t happen: I then wrote to my boss requesting a raise in light of my accomplishments; but my boss totally ignored me.

I have been with this company for 6 months. Before I started, we agreed that my salary would be reviewed after 6 months; however, after 6 months nothing happened. I then wrote to my boss requesting a raise in light of my accomplishments; but my boss totally ignored me. What does that mean? The second question is what should I do next? This issue is affecting me day and night because I feel like my boss does not respect me or appreciate the work that I do.

Signed,  Day and Night

Dear Day and Night:

Your brief description indicates you are obsessed with the fact that your boss has ignored your request for a raise after six months. And you probably are correct when you say, “This issue is affecting me day and night.” How is it affecting you? Do you question your value to your boss? Have you changed from seeing her/him as a good to evil? Are you nervous about your performance? Do you talk again and again about this with family and friends? Do you gossip about this with coworkers? Hopefully not.

You haven’t said if this is your first job and how much experience you’ve had working. If you see the kind of work you are in as one step on a career path, it seems that you are at a point at which you need to reassess: to take stock of what you have done, are doing now, and how you cope with disappointment.

Here are several suggestions you might consider:

· How firm was the promised review of your salary? Was it in writing or word of mouth mentioned casually?

· Should you have asked for a raise or for a face-to-face meeting to review your performance?

· Can you list your “accomplishments” of projects completed in terms of numbers and money made? Did you present such a list in along side your request for a raise?

· Have you communicated regularly with your boss? If so, what kind of feedback have you gotten? Might it be wise to meet with her/him briefly once a week if your work group doesn’t have weekly staff meetings?

· Is it not past time to meet with your boss face-to-face for that six months review?

· At such a time, would it be wise to ask: what am I doing well and what needs improvement? Also is not that a time to ask for guidance as your career path? Do you see your boss as an enemy? Might it be helpful to request coaching from her/him?

· Reflect on your communication skills. Are you a cheerful person to work near? Do you easily thank others? Are you self-focused rather than other-focused? Do you make coworkers and your boss’ job more effective and easier?

· Aside from you immediate unhappiness might it help to take stock of how you cope with disappointment? Playing and replaying the fact that your boss has not responded probably distracts you from doing your job well and enjoying the good things outside of work. Day and night worry is not healthy. Get hold of yourself. A raise and worry about of what lack of it means is not the end of the world. Rather realize that disappointments happen and you can learn from them.

So in a professional way, confer with your boss and/or a coworker you can trust about the quality of your performance. Learn from that. Also understand that work is only part of your life. Cultivate outside of work interests; workouts, music, reading, tutoring, and pampering your self.

Do any of these thoughts speak to your present frustration and suggest a course of action? If not, might they prompt you to find a more creative approach? I predict you can free your self from continuous worry. Will you do your part to make this prediction come about? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. Can you apply this closing concept to your self and work place?