How To Get Outdoor Work Area Cleaned Up?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about clean up:

I work for the forest preserve district. Our rear yard is used for storage of old car trucks rocks etc. I think we need to clean this yard, ASAP. What approach should I take to make it happen?

Signed, Surrounded By Trash

DearĀ Surrounded By Trash:

You don’t say what your role is in this situation, or if you have any input about it. I’m assuming you are an employee and you are wondering how to get things going to solve this problem.It sounds as though you are concerned about not only the looks of the place but the safety of it as well. Consider writing an email to your supervisor or manager, to document your request, and say that you think the rear storage area is a hazard and unsightly for a government organization. Ask if you and others can meet to decide how to get it cleaned up.You may have already talked to him about it and gotten no response. If that is the case, just write your letter from the viewpoint that you are asking one more time and would like to discuss the matter. It will probably require trucks and staff to get the area cleared and that may not be in the budget. But, perhaps there are some basic steps that could be taken that would help until more work could be done. Consider having metal recyclers look at the trucks and take them for free. Or, perhaps the other material could be used by someone, if they will just take it away.

The most important thing is to change the policy that allowed it to build up in the first place. Government or business sites shouldn’t be used as trash, junk or rubbish dumps. Perhaps you can help keep this from happening again.Work with your coworkers about it if you can, or involve anyone else who has expressed dislike for the situation. You will get better results that way than on your own.If you approach this in a way that is reasonable and cooperative, but also adamantly concerned, you may be the one who finally gets that area cleaned up! I hope so! Best wishes to you!