How To Get Trainees To The Desired Levels?

Question:

I have been training agents and developing their skills over the last three years. I am now at the stage where the group falls into two categories:

1.The agent is meeting all objectivies and receiving 98% on testing.

or

2. The agent is not achieving his or her objectives at all over a long time. What should I do next?

Trainer

Answer:

Dear Trainer:

Thank you for sharing your concern with us. I’ll share some thoughts that might be helpful for your situation. 1. First, I would be remiss to not caution you that as a trainer, you should be more careful than most about your writing. I edited your question in the way that I thought explained your concerns. However, your original question was not written clearly enough that I could understand what you were asking.

When you are training or just communicating by email or in person, you may find that some who have difficulty learning, are having difficulty understanding your instructions. That may not be the case, but I wanted to point out that problem.

2. If your company is a large one, you undoubtedly have an HR section. I would think it would be worthwhile to get with them to establish pass-fail standards and timelines. That way those who aren’t achieving at all over a long time, can be let go and replaced with those who can learn the skills.

If you have such a standard already, then you only need to document your training efforts and the results, and take those to HR.

3.) If you’re wondering about training methods, consider joining any of several training organizations to add to your expertise. In the United States the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) is very useful for helping corporate trainers with their programs.

4.) As with all training, when some people learn the skills and some don’t, there is a chance that the training was flawed in some way, for the mental processing of some students. Or, the mental processing of some students is so problematic that no trainer could get them up to the required level.

One way to find out is to have someone look at your learning objectives and the material and let you know what they think about it. But, all of that may be done by an outside source and provided to you.

Next would be to have someone sit in on training with a problem learner and assess the session.

4.) I assume you have a manager. That person would be a good resource for helping with this. He or she may have a different view of the learners or of your concerns.

Training is tough, as I well know! But, not all learners can learn, based on the complexity of the material. Once you have done your best with the best material, you may have to simply accept that some will not succeed.

Best wishes to you in your work. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what solution you find.