Not A Doctor But On Call Like It Or Not

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being treated like an all-around any time servant
.
What should I do? I work in Tennessee which is an AT WILL STATE! I’m the safety attendant at my job and my manager has me doing maintenance jobs i.e. taking out the trash and taking care of maintenance issues. These are not in my job description but it does say I am supposed to do duties as assigned by the manager! I was unaware until I was needed at another property and was told half the jobs I did were not my place to do!

I live on Property. I work at an extended stay hotel… The maintenance person also lives on property with her husband (the maint. person is also my manager’s landlord). Policy is no fraternization between management and employees.

My manager knows that since I live on property and don’t make very much and uses the fact that I really can’t afford to lose my job/place to live to make me come in hours before I was scheduled. Has waked me up banging like the police on my door to complain about things that could have waited till I came in. Complained to guests about me and another employee.
I’m afraid that if I go over her head and directly to corporate that I will be fired.
Signed: Work At Will

Dear Work At Will:
Apparently your job arrangement has put you into a “go for” and “do whatever I say” position. However much you dislike this, because you “can’t afford to lose your job, I expect it will remain as it is unless you are willing to look for another job and will live elsewhere. For now, you have few options. This doesn’t mean you are unable to assert yourself. You can have a toe-to-toe confrontation with your manager to state how you want to be treated. This need not be a battle. It can be a civil confrontation in which to simply ask for reasonable and respectful assignments in keeping with the job description for which you were hired.

To bypass your manager would create more problems than you now have. And I don’t advise that until and unless your job description is grossly ignored. It might be difficult, but you might consider if you could help earn a cordial and even a pleasant boss-bossed relationship. How? By working as you would if you “owned” the place—keeping it free of trash, cheerfully going about, suggesting ways to make your manager’s job easier.

These thoughts probably aren’t the advice you want, but from the picture you paint, they may be the best you can do for now. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. I welcome your follow-up thoughts after you have decided what to do these next few weeks.