Overtime Pay Short!

Question:

I recently worked a lot of overtime. However, my check was short by 20 hours. This seems to be a recurring problem. Since I get paid bi-weekly, I always have to wait till the next check to see the money. Is there some way I could stop this? I’ve heard every excuse in the book. It’s not just me, as my coworkers have been grumbling also. We feel that they can cut us checks within a couple of days especially for such huge mistakes. They say they can’t do it. What do you say?

A Big Mistake

Answer:

DearĀ A Big Mistake:

You explain that there is a problem with your paycheck and are shorted overtime pay. This is a real problem when it affects your “money.” May I suggest: First, again speak to your supervisor and explain the situation of being short of pay due to no pay for a certain amount of overtime hours. Second, tell the supervisor that you need his cooperation to get the matter resolved. Third, inform him that you will be keeping a daily record of hours worked, with beginning and ending time. And that you would like for him to initial each, preferable daily, maybe weekly, to verify time worked. With this record there should be no question as to the number of hours you have worked. As a matter of information, if you work “over” each day, this is not considered overtime for pay purposes until you have worked 40 hours. Then you simply add each week’s hours to get the total regular and overtime hours. The two weeks would be added to get Payroll– Regular hours and Overtime hours for the pay period. If you are “shorted” hours due to an error, most companies will not cut a separate check for the amount due. The mistake is corrected the next pay period, on a separate line item, on the payroll check. Again most companies “could” cut a separate check to fix the error, but then it is on a different check, rather than payroll check, which create a big problem!! The best solution is to “fix the shortage” problem by having the correct hours reported to payroll clerk. You, working with your supervisor, should be able to eliminate the problem. Put your faith in both oral and written channels of communication, and that entail careful record keeping. Organization is an ongoing process, more a verb than a noun, and when it works well, we see it as WEGO.

Jerry Allen