Resume For The Last Half of My Life

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about material that I don’t Want in my resume:

Hi there, I’m 44 years old and have decided to make a new career path and a new lifestyle even going as far as moving 1000 miles away from where I am originally lived. I decided I wanted to obtain my CDL license and become a truck driver for the last remaining work years until retirement. I am now attending CDL school at the local community college.The problem that I am having is that the past two employers I was discharged from. One of them went downhill within three months because someone made Anti-Semitism remarks. And the second place of employment discharged me for made up reasons and I did go to unemployment court and I won, my attorney proved otherwise. But the job previous to the one that I won the unemployment case, made up some outlandish stories of how I behaved that are untrue.

See…. I had a business in the past that I ran for quite a few years, after I sold the business I could not figure out what I wanted to do so I tried different fields and it just looks funny on my resume. I have gaps because of my father passing away. Also I went to school for about a year without working so I don’t know how to remedy this. I’m really counting on getting hired within a good trucking company. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do? Now Mind you, I have a clean driving history, clean criminal history and I am drug-free. Your response will be greatly appreciated for I am desperate and worried thank you.

Signed–The Next Half of My Life

Dear The Next Half of My Life: we owe you an apology for not sending an answer to your question earlier. It was not until yesterday that I learned of your question. A new technician charged with administration of our server automatically confirmed receipt of your submitted question, but failed to have it forwarded. Perhaps you no longer need resume advice and have found new employment. I hope so.

You are to be congratulated for making a major career change and seeking/earning a CDL license. In normal times, this should enable employment as a truck driver for the last remaining work years until you retire. Now in light of the new technology that job may also require training for programming self-driving trucks. Your local college, probably has informed you of that. Likely you can find help at the college in preparing your resume. You are paying for training there and should take advantage of the placement advice that most likely is available.

For now, I think you need not worry about the many details you raise about their inclusion in your resume. Foremost your resume should state what employers want to know: that you have the proper qualifications and licensing for the assignments of their company, and that you have a clean driving history, clean criminal history and are drug-free, as you can say you have and are.

Work history should come second and should briefly describe skills used and places and time of employment. Also here is where you would include your own several years running and then selling your own business. Because you are beginning a new career, a detailed dated list in every year of employment will not be important, and asking questions about gaps are unlikely.

It is important both on paper and in interviews that you be honest. You are not seeking a job with the FBI or CIA so details will not be relevant. It is wise not to raise topics and to over-explain about why you changed employment and to describe the kind of problems you apparently find circling about in your head as are mentioned in your question, such as Anti-Semitism remarks, winning an unemployment case, etc. The local college might provide interview practice for you and places to intern as a truck driver. What will engage the eyes and ears of those who see your resume and interview you is the possibility of hiring a mature, enthusiastic, and responsible individual–one who is grateful for what he has learned in the past and who wants to make the best of the next half of his life.

I hope these thoughts make sense to you these next few weeks and months. You are shaping an adventure that many would like to have. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.

–William Gorden