Salary Increase???

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about boss procrastination of promotion and raise.  

I am in a odd situation. I’ve worked with this company for over 9 yrs. and my evaluations have been satisfactory.  My problem, is that boss is VP of HR and she has been procrastinating. I was due for a salary change in July, 07. From last year’s evaluation, I was also due to a change of title, from HR Assistant to Benefit Coordinator for this year, since my role has grown to include retirement benefit work.

Each year, I feel my evaluation gets pushed farther and farther away. I get the run around from her and other managers. The response from them is never specific. This year her response is she hasn’t talked to her boss and will likely not since she beginning a new project. Well, I waited until she finished a previous project to bring my salary delay to her attention, and now I must wait again. If I go over her head to her boss, she’ll consider this a threat. As an employee what are my options? How do I go about handling this? I’m at a loss and need advice.

Signed, HR Assistant

Dear HR Assistant:

It is frustrating not to receive your evaluation on schedule and even more so not to obtain a salary increase. Human Resource managers should be the first to complete this assignment to show others the importance of a timely evaluation. In your case, I have some concerns.

First I will address your question to us. It is very poorly written – bad sentence structure and poorly stated. (We have edited it to make it presentable when it is posted. Do take time to compare what you sent us with our editing.) I would encourage you to pay more attention to your writing. It is impossible to know your verbal communication skills, but I will hope they would be your stronger suit.

I suggest that you make an appointment with your immediate supervisor, to meet in her office to discuss your evaluation and salary. State succinctly the situation and ask when can you expect the evaluation and salary increase. Also ask if there is/are any problem(s) with your work that you should change or improve. There may actually be some major problems with your performance and the managers are hesitant to talk to you about them. Perhaps they do not want to hurt your feelings, etc. I would not be concerned about the job title change at this point. It will happen when it happens.

Then I would write a very short memo to your supervisor thanking her for the time and for meeting with you. If you did get an expected time for the evaluation, state that in the memo: “I look forward to my evaluation and salary adjustment by the end of October, as promised in our meeting.” If no specific time was mentioned, simply state that you hope the evaluation will be completed as soon as possible. Remember to make the memo short and clearly written, with good sentence structure.Best of luck to you and continued work in the human resource field.

Gerald Allen