Set Up By Managment to Be Fired

Question:

I have a new boss, and my old senior RDO quit in March. The new boss has made racial comments and now has had other employees call and make false accusations in order to get me out of the company. I have worked 3 years for this company and worked hard to get from being a cook to a excutive director. I am on leave, for the alligations, but during an HR meeting, they told me I was set up to fail by my previous SRDO. I rebutted with witnesses to the actions of the employees seeking revenge and also told them of my senior executive director’s racial comments. I am still on leave even though they told me I am cleared of the other charges. What can they do to me now? How else can I fight this? Should I go ahead and quit? Should I get a lawyer now?

Should I quit or sue?

Answer:

Dear Should I quit or sue?:

If you have received replies from us already, please forgive us! We’re having some technological problems right now. It doesn’t appear that you have a legal case about your employment problems, even with one or two racial remarks. However, you may want to talk to an attorney and explain your situation, with details. Most will give you a free consultation over the phone.

Right now you need to find out where you stand exactly with your work future. Call them and say you are worried about whether or not you’re going to have a job. Ask for clear indications about what you can do to make sure you keep yours and rebuild if there is a need to do that. They may tell you they are sorry but don’t see a future for you there. Or they may be surprised you think they want you to leave, and they’ll tell you you’re doing fine, but need to make a few adjustments. At least you’ll know.

If you quit, you’ll never know for sure and you’ll also not be able to collect unemployment benefits. So, it seems wise to hold on and communicate.

Most employees will not lie about someone just because a boss asks them to. So, it appears that something was going on. It might be that an employee complained and the boss encouraged them to make it formal. You were cleared of the charges, fortunately. But, the fact the employees made the complaint may be more their wrong doing than that of your boss.

Clear communication is the key. When your managers said your former boss set you up for failure, they may have been saying he shouldn’t have promoted you in the first place because you didn’t have the background or skills they wanted. Or, they may have meant he said bad things about you to the new boss. Or, maybe he was supposed to train you better but didn’t. You won’t know what they meant unless you ask.

You will also want to work to build a better relationship with your new boss after all this is settled. Make him your advisor for how to do work the way he wants it done. That may be difficult to stomach, but is the best way to approach it.

If you’ve worked hard to your job, you know it means enough to you to work hard to keep it solid. Best wishes as you take on this challenge.