Should A Manager Intentionally Embarrass You?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a boss who yells: Is that an acceptable way to boss?

I’ve been working at Wendy’s for around two years now and my manager, who is now the general manager, like to yell at the employees for doing something wrong–this includes new team members on their first day who don’t know anything. Even if I myself slip up she screams at me in front of customers though it was a tiny mistake. She even embarrasses customers when they come in with a wrong order and she sometimes raises her voice at them. Is that allowed? Is it right?

Signed,  I’m Yelled At

Dear I’m Yelled At:

No, it’s not right, and no, your manager is not allowed to do that. Whoever owns your local Wendy’s surely would not approve of a manager who has a habit of yelling at you and other employees. The question then is: What, if anything, can you do about it?

You have some options other than looking for work elsewhere or biting your tongue as though you deserve her yelling:

1. On the spot upon hearing her yell, you can say, “Ann, please just tell me what bothers you in a normal voice and I will listen.”

2. By-pass your yelling boss and request of upper-level management that they should talk to her about how she manages. I don’t recommend this option.

3. Request a time to speak with her privately. Ask how she thinks you are doing in the job she has assigned you. Then say that you know she wants the best for Wendy’s and from everyone who works there. Say you appreciate that; however, you know she is frustrated when she sees something wrong. She might then ask you how you know and you can tell her. Or you might then simply say, that you too want to learn how to manage and that she is your example. Asked if you should yell at those do something wrong. This should open the conversation for you to say that you don’t like to be yelled at and she has a pattern of doing so. Also ask if in the future, when she yells, what she wants you to do.

If you like working at Wendy’s, ask your manager about it as a career path and what you should do to get the training necessary. Always remember that a question is better than a complaint. Learning how to make yourself heard in a persuasive way is important because there will be other bosses you also yell who you have on your career path.

You have a right to be treated with respect. Moreover, bosses who yell hurt the business for which they are working. You can help them realize that yelling is not good for business and it is disliked by those they boss. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. To enjoy the be payoff of wego will require you having the courage to say what you dislike as well as like about your boss.