Should I Leave This Bad Workplace?

Question:

I am on the verge of leaving my job immediately. I am required to work closely with a team of people who are good friends and hate me. The problems have been going on over a year now. One is a gossip and can twist anything I say to sound like a criticism. Another leads ploys to put more work on me when I won’t do favors for her. The third is just plain rude, unhelpful and openly hostile. Together they plan ways to channel work my way, cover for each others’ missed time but make sure my boss knows if I’m in 5 min late, and jointly ignore my requests for help on projects I cannot do alone. They lie about being too busy then back each other up. I made my boss aware of sexually explicit dialogue and conduct that made me uncomfortable about two months ago, and they have doubled their bullying since then. The boss is a bit “hands-off”, but does advise them when they need to straighten out. Her boss parties with the clique. Despite my boss’ corrective actions, I am convinced they would not change for anything in the world- they don’t care about improving the work environment. I have no allies at work. I hate what I do anyway, should I try to fix this? I would like to think this is redeemable, but really want to just quit.

Ready to Quit

Answer:

Dear Ready to Quit:

The short answer: Quit.

A bit longer answer: Talk to your boss and ask him how soon you can leave and still get paid your last check. If you have to stay for two weeks, ask him to keep your plans a secret from the others, and don’t let anyone know what you are doing. Keep working at your highest level and be a good employee until it’s over.

Tell your boss that you are leaving because you see that things are not working well and you would like to go in a good situation so you can get a positive reference from him if someone calls about your work. Put that thought in his mind, so he will be more likely to remember it when someone contacts him.

Don’t have any last words for anyone else, just leave one day and don’t come back. That will be much easier!If word gets out and you are asked about it, just say you have other plans now and are looking forward to new horizons.

When you move on to something else, put your focus on work and being the best member of the team possible. This will become a bad memory at some point and you’ll be glad you quit when you did…and probably sorry you didn’t quit sooner.

Best wishes in your new work…which is bound to be better than this!