Strategies & Contribution Assignment

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a course assignment: How can a secretary contribute effectively towards managing the boss’s office? What strategies can secretary implement to make management aware of her contribution towards the company?

How can a secretary contribute effectively towards managing the boss’s office? What strategies can secretary implement to make management aware of her contribution towards the company? This is for my assignment and regarding general work of a secretary. I’m following a Administrative & Secretary Course. So that institute has given these 2 assignments for me. Also I’m not an employee. Hoping for a favorable reply. 1) How can a secretary contribute effectively towards managing the boss’s office? 2) What strategies can you implement to make management aware of your contribution towards the company? Thank you for your consideration.

Signed, Want to Make a Difference

Dear Want to Make a Difference:

Because you are requesting help in answering an assignment, please know upfront that advice we provide should not be included in part or whole without acknowledging that it has been provided by Ask the Workplace Doctors. Therefore, so that we will know in the future whether whether to respond to a question such as yours, please send us the answer you submit to your instructor. Be sure to use quotation marks to indicate what of our advice you quote and with attribution to our site. For example, In addition to the advice below, I suggest you look at some of the many Q&As within our Archives. You will gather from them information about what makes for effective organizational communication, such as collaboratively developing do and don’t rules about how to communicate effectively. Also you will find much advice about team work and how managers are most effective when they regularly carry out their duties as though they were coaches rather than bosses who give orders.

Coaches schedule frequent skull sessions that encourage all players to comment on what has been working well and what needs correcting for the next game. In a similar fashion a manager, who engages his/her subordinates in skull sessions, is employing an effective organizational strategy. For two decades, a colleague and I conducted secretarial seminars. In those seminars we emphasized professional performance, and most particularly we taught such ideas as asking questions for clarification and paraphrasing what was heard before acting.

With this general background here below is material that addresses your questions. The answer to your questions hinges on the kind of job and boss you might have. Ideally a secretary is seen as a member of a team. In a small office, the boss and secretary probably are a two member-team. In a large office, likely there is an office manager and several secretaries assigned to various jobs. The boss probably has one secretary assigned to her/him. Such a secretary may determine who and when others can have appointments with the boss or the boss may take his/her own phone calls and schedule appointments. What are the duties of a personal secretary must be collaboratively spelled out in a job description and reviewed from time to time. Of course a personal secretary keeps the schedule for the boss, handles correspondence, and alerts to the status of tasks and projects assigned.

Charting and posting the projects can aid in this; the critical path to their achievement and who is responsible for various steps with dates. Suggesting and preparing such a chart is tangible evidence of a secretary’s contribution. Another way for a secretary to demonstrate her/his contribution is to log tasks and meet with the boss weekly to review what has been completed and what is yet to be done. Formulation of strategy entails both an interdependent attitude and process. Effective secretaries encourage a boss to see her/himself as a coach. As I mentioned earlier in this response to your question, this entails skulls sessions with those in the team; reviewing and applauding what has good well and what needs correcting/planning for what’s ahead. Effective secretaries know the technology that the boss does not; they request training what might make her/his work more efficient and effective. Effective secretaries study their organization.

Effective secretaries respect and promote high ethical standards. You will notice that almost always, I conclude an answer to a question with this signature sentence: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. This sentence suggests that whatever is one’s job it is best perceived as interdependent with coworkers and management. A secretary is instrumental to helping management and those with whom she/he interacts to experience the rewards of an employee-friendly, spirited place of work.