Before You Submit Your Question…….

Ask the Workplace Doctors is a FREE resource to help you find solutions to workplace communication problems. If you are thinking about submitting a question, the following information may be useful to you:

1. You may find the answer to your question in our archive of over 3,000 questions and responses. Look for the general category, on the right, then scan the Q & A’s.

2. Your name and email will not appear in our posted answer. An immediate response will be sent you via your email as soon as possible–usually within two days. If you scan our recent posted Q&A and Archives, you will see that all submitted questions are anonymous.

read more

What Can Happen About an Accusation That I Started a Rumor?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being accused
of starting a rumor at work. 

Hi, I’m going to try and do this without names as I feel like I’ve been singled out for a witch hunt. I have been accused of starting a rumor about my supervisor (A) while she was on maternity leave. The rumor I am being accused of starting is that I said our manager (B) was unhappy with the work my supervisor(A) was doing and that she would be not welcomed back into our department. That the supervisor(A) would be re-positioned elsewhere or fired and replaced, and that a specific employee(C) would be taking on my supervisor’s(A) position.

read more

How Can I Tell If My Manager Likes Me The Same Way I Like Him?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about
having personal feelings for a manager. 

Question: I have feelings for my manager and I know he is single. I am trying to figure out if he likes me as well. He’s called me sweetie a couple of times and given me hi-fives. Should I get to know him better before I tell him how I feel? What are the signs that he likes me in that way? What kind of touching is acceptable?

read more

Night-Shift RN Frustrated by Day-Shift Failure to Communicate

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about shift-to-shift failure to communicate:

Dear Workplace doctors I am an RN at a hospital in Ohio and I’m running into a huge problem. I work 7p-7a. Every time I go into work for the last month every patient report is not fully filled out.
Charting is not fulfilled and that causes me issues at my job because I’m confused on what I am and not suppose to do to help my patients out. This could affect my job and my patients’ health. There are signs posted all over the hospital and in the break-room for charts to be filled out with everything that should go on each for each shift. Clearly this isn’t working. What can I do so that my coworker and management will address this problem and fix it?

read more

Want Supervisor Fired

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about an affair between a city supervisor and one’s girlfriend:

Can I get the supervisor of the city I live in fired and my gf (who is an intern thru the state) for having affair. And yes there’s been documented special treatment. We have a board of directors that hire and fire for this job.

Want This Person Fired

read more

Bossy Coworker Annoys Me

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors  about a bossy coworker:

How do I deal with a bossy new coworker who is new to the industry and has no experience and only two weeks on the job? She’s bossy and bosses around coworkers who have been here for years. She acts like she is the Narrator to everyone’s life and everything that they do… she is completely annoying!

Signed–Completely Annoyed

read more

Delayed Reviews Make Me Anxious and Annoyed

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a second review being delayed and delayed:

Hello, I have been at my current job for a year and 4 months. I graduated college in May 2016 and this is my first “adult” job. We are a relatively new (3 years), very small private company and there are only 9 of us in the office. My co-workers and I report to our Director of Operations, and she reports to our COO. I love it here- my co-workers are amazing, my superiors are very relaxed, and the work environment is super casual. The only thing that bothers me is that my supervisor does not follow through on things that are said.

read more

Bully Boss Has It Out For Me

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about coping with a bully boss:

My supervisor asked me for help. He was loading doors on a cart, “Can you give me a hand?” I said, “Yes, no problem.” He was loading two at a time. When he saw me carrying one,  he said “My five year old daughter could lift more than you. I have a three inch tear and a hernia sticking out, are you that big of a pussy?” He has had it out for me since day one, My response was, “Joe, I’m not trying to give myself a hernia.” That is only one example of the way he treats his employees. Signed–Has It Out For Me

read more

Can I be Fired for Testing Positive?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about testing positive:

Just a few days ago I was accused of being under the influence of drugs on the job; I do do drugs on my own time but never on company’s time. I had to take a drug test and the test came back positive. Can my employer fire me due to the positive results even when it was done on my own time? —On My Own Time

read more

Too Much Music in my Workplace

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about loud music:

Are there regulations regarding music in warehouses with forklift operators driving around. I got blindsided hit by a forklift driver in a warehouse that had a speaker system playing music 10 feet from me. I never heard the forklift driver due to the music. Blindsided 

read more

Feeling Rejected by Male Coworker Mentor

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctor about a coworker relationship going sour:

Hello, I started a new job in December 2017 and I got a mentor on my side. He was really nice at the beginning and I was so happy to have someone I can ask everything. A few days ago we had a company event and everyone was in good mood. My colleagues were drinking a lot besides me and another girl. And then the next day my coworker was suddenly ignoring me and trying to avoid eye contact – all of sudden! He was even leaving a free spot between us at lunch which was super weird.

read more