Before You Submit Your Question…….

Ask the Workplace Doctors is a FREE resource to help you find solutions to workplace communication problems. If you are thinking about submitting a question, the following information may be useful to you:

1. You may find the answer to your question in our archive of over 3,000 questions and responses. Look for the general category, on the right, then scan the Q & A’s.

2. Your name and email will not appear in our posted answer. An immediate response will be sent you via your email as soon as possible–usually within two days. If you scan our recent posted Q&A and Archives, you will see that all submitted questions are anonymous.

read more

A Brief Affair is Over–But the Angry Wife Is Trying to Get Me Fired

A Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about what to do when
a brief affair with a coworker is reported–by the coworkers wife.  

Question:

I have gotten into a difficult situation that may effect my job. I had a brief affair with a person that works at my company that included meeting out of the office on company time. Therefore, I could possibly be fired for filing a false time sheet. The wife of the coworker with whom I had the affair found out and has been harassing me by contacting my friends and family to expose the affair and now has also contacted my supervisor.

read more

What To Do When I Am Shut Down and Shut Out?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about how to handle
times of disagreement with the boss or when one is prevented from
learning and presenting ideas. 

Question:
I read a response to a question on this site about co-workers teaming up against another employee. I interpreted the response as saying that sometimes when people go up the corporate ladder it invokes jealousy. Or, sometimes people don’t fit into the office team culture. You suggested frequency of meetings that include all team members, to encourage participation and problem solving.

read more

“Mistryst”–My Husband’s Accused of Sexual Harassment

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about probable firing of her husband accused of sexual harassment:

My husband has had a complaint of sexual harassment against him; this occurred 2 years ago. The scenario is that after a drunken night out with co-workers while in Japan, he took one of the woman back to his room. When he got there, he realized it was a mistake, but by this time the woman had missed her train and they spent the night together but both claim nothing happened, he says. I don’t know if I believe this. My husband was reprimanded by the company for this.

read more

What Can We Do To Stop a Meddling Coworker?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about how to stop a coworker from meddling, interrupting and interfering in the work of others. 

Question:
I work in an office of around twenty people. One member of staff causes problems for the rest by constantly snooping and interfering. She eavesdrops on every conversation and feels the need to comment on matters that are no relation to her job or department. Every decision I or anyone else makes is questioned by her, despite the majority of matters having no effect on her.

read more

What Should I Do If I Have No Work To Do In My New Job?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about how to
handle a situation where there seems to be no work in a new job. 

*************************

QUESTION:
I just started a new job 2 months ago, in the same field of work as I’ve done for 27 years. I couldn’t wait to work for this company, because it sounded like the perfect place to work: It’s a small company, seemed like a lot of nice people, I’d have more variety, I’d be creating the “standard” for new employees and moving up the company, as I was told, is common place.

read more

Fired by Boss Having an Affair

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being fired by a friend’s boss having an affair:

I was fired from Microsoft in 2004. (writing anonymously for now)

I knew it was going to happen the minute my best friend’s husband became my new supervisor. 20k employees, and he ends up being my boss. My friend and I met at our daughters’ daycare not at work! What were the odds.

He was having an affair with a woman down the hall from us. I figured it out at the Holiday Party, 2003, that was hosted at the Seahawk Stadium. I confirmed it with my friend, who had not told me yet. She had herself only just learned of it.

read more

My New Hire Is Frequently In My Way

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about interpersonal distance:

I own a small biz, recently hired someone. This person always needs to be walking in the same path as me, which means she walks into me or has a near miss, at least 5-6 times per day. We work in an open space (2200 sq ft) yet if I am in one area, she needs to be in same area at the same time, and wants me to get out of her way. For example I was making something and she wanted to pass a rolling ladder that would run over my work. All she needed to do was go around another way. But I had to stop what I was doing and explain that if she did this she would destroy my work. Which she did the day before. So she stood there waiting until I told her to do something else. 

read more

Losing my Mind Because of Punjabi Coworkers

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about coworkers speaking their native language and feeling excluded because of only knowing English:

Please clear this up for me before I lose my mind!!! I was hired 3 years ago by a woman who is fluent in both English & Punjabi. She herself is an ” Americanized Punjabi.” Anyway, when I was hired, there were 2 other Punjabi/English speakers, a Spanish/English speaker & myself English speaking only. Never did I feel out of place or left out of conversations. Everyone spoke English & all was good. Until now. This past year, the Spanish/English speakers have left & has been replaced with 2 Punjabi/ English speakers & now ALL day 6 days a week EVERYTHING EVERY WORD EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY IS PUNJABI PUNJABI PUNJABI!

read more

Harassed in My Last Job and in My New

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a persistent harassment by coworkers:

I have a harassment issue of sorts that I am unclear what to do about. I worked for a large corporation and moved up quickly. Much to the dismay of others. I was very vocal about issues we faced and my boss hated that. It wasn’t until my boss was promoted that the onslaught began. Once he was placed two levels above me, each of my coworkers began to harass me. Some things I did not find out about until later but things were put in my food, things were sent to me that were blatantly racist and then spread around the office as if I sent them etc…

read more

What Can Happen About an Accusation That I Started a Rumor?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being accused
of starting a rumor at work. 

Hi, I’m going to try and do this without names as I feel like I’ve been singled out for a witch hunt. I have been accused of starting a rumor about my supervisor (A) while she was on maternity leave. The rumor I am being accused of starting is that I said our manager (B) was unhappy with the work my supervisor(A) was doing and that she would be not welcomed back into our department. That the supervisor(A) would be re-positioned elsewhere or fired and replaced, and that a specific employee(C) would be taking on my supervisor’s(A) position.

read more