“Ask The Workplace Doctors” Is Still A Great Workplace Communications Resource

Ask The Workplace Doctors has almost 3,000 questions and answers
for you to search. Or, ask your own question!

For over a decade, Ask the Workplace Doctors, the site developed by William I. Gorden, Ph.D., of Kent State University, School of Communication Studies, has been a workplace communications resource for thousands of people, from around the world. You can still count on us to provide practical, reasonable, useful and compassionate advice. However, we are dealing with problems related to the appearance of some of the questions and answers and hope you will patient about those.

read more

Read More

Boss Seeks Complaints About My Bossing

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a boss seeking complaints from a supervisor’s work group:

My boss is asking employees working under my supervision individually if they have a problem with me and he asks them to give him a complaint in writing or submit a grievance if they do have any problems with me.

My boss has done it now for the third time. He will come on site only when I’m not there and request from the employees under my supervision if they have any problems with me. He will also tell them that he knows that it’s not always nice to work with someone you don’t like and they must give any complaint or grievances to him personally in writing.

read more

Read More

How Can I Get Upper Management Support?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about getting upper management support: How can I get upper management to support me in not allowing others to get away with undermining my authority?

I currently work at a career school handling student loan default prevention. I handle default prevention at a campus level, but a new position was created shortly after I came on board that was offered to me to oversee our other 3 campuses as well. Part of the problem is the fact that I work out of one of the campuses and not out of the corporate office, and there is a level of competitiveness among campuses that makes it difficult to gain the other campus’ trust that I am in fact looking out for their best interest and not trying to make the campus I work at look the best.

read more

Read More

Is It Illegal to Play Music in the Warehouse?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about laws regarding listening to music while working:

Me and like 98% of my co-workers have no problem with music being played as long as it’s quiet enough to hear everything else around for obvious safety reasons. Our lead hand, who sort of abuses authority, tells us all the time “no music in the warehouse it’s against the law. So we’re forced to turn them off. I’m in Vancouver Canada B.C. and I’m just wondering if it really is against the law or is he just saying this?
Signed Forced Turned Off

read more

Read More

What Can I Do About A Coworker Who Says My Work Overshadows His?

A Question for Ask the Workplace Doctors:
What can I do to get along better with a coworker
who accuses me of overshadowing his work? 

*******************************************************

Question:
I have been working with this group in a creative arts position in a company working on a group project. It is very team oriented, and a very competitive workplace. At the same time we all, for the most part, work together like gears with little friction. A coworker I am going to call James has told me numerous times that he is tired of creating work just for it to be overshadowed by something I have contributed, and wants to surrender working for the company because he feels anything he contributes will be looked at as inferior compared to mine. I have tried all types of methods to support James and help boost his confidence in his abilities, by bumping it above mine to be reviewed instead of some of my ideas, working with him under the guise that I want to learn things from him, and constantly make positive, but not overbearing compliments on his work on a week to week basis. [Trying to make sure I don’t smother him].

read more

Read More

Can My Manager Go To My Second Job To Verify I Was Out Sick?

A question for Ask the Workplace Doctors:
Can my manager come to my second job to check on me, when I’ve called in sick? 

******************************************************

Question: 
Hi, I currently work 2 part time jobs in two different stores in the same shopping center. I have had problems with one of the stores ever since I joined. They waited to pay my September’s wages all the way into December. Then, they messed up my December’s wages and I wasn’t paid until in January. My bank has been overdrawn and I couldn’t even buy any of my parents or friends any gifts, which ruined the whole holiday season for me. They also haven’t recorded the overtime I have worked for previous months, so the store manager had to check CCTV footage to see when I was in, to rewrite any overtime. This was also paid late to me. ( I will call this store, Store A). The second place I work is much more professional and I have not had the slightest problem or worry about anything and they treat the workers like royalty (I will call this store, Store B)

read more

Read More

How Can I Become Part of the Team If They Won’t Help Me Learn?

A new question to Ask the Workplace Doctors:
How can I become part of the team
if they won’t communicate with me or help me learn?

***********************************************************

Question:
I recently started a new job in a new field. I was extremely excited about this and ready to learn new things. That all ceased within my first 3 months. I am working in a small office, there are just 3 of us, my boss, my coworker and myself. I came from an office that employed 35 people at any given time and had been there for 20 years so I expected some “growing time” taking this new job. I have pretty much been on my own learning a new business and new tasks since day one.

read more

Read More

Not A Doctor But On Call Like It Or Not

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being treated like an all-around any time servant
.
What should I do? I work in Tennessee which is an AT WILL STATE! I’m the safety attendant at my job and my manager has me doing maintenance jobs i.e. taking out the trash and taking care of maintenance issues. These are not in my job description but it does say I am supposed to do duties as assigned by the manager! I was unaware until I was needed at another property and was told half the jobs I did were not my place to do!

read more

Read More

Gossip About the Boss’s Flirting

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about gossiping about the boss’s flirting:
For several weeks many of my co-workers had been noticing very flirtatious behaviors between the boss and another co-worker. Most of them were small things, so I just brushed it off as probably nothing. I chose not to speak to anyone and would just smile and walk away when people would say the comments. As time passed, I had started to see the behaviors, such as very close proximity, whispers and giggles during staff events, and texting one another. I did not believe that he was cheating on his wife, but could see the flirting with this one co-worker.

read more

Read More

My Friend Became An Irritating Coworker. Now What?

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about how to deal with a friend
who is also an irritating coworker.

***************************************************************************

Question: 
A couple of years back, my friend was not in a great place mentally so when a job came up at my workplace, I got her in.  She worked as a caterer/ school kitchen assistant before, so I thought a change into office administrative work would help her.

Why does it irritate me so much that she soon became a different person–patronizing me, thinking she is more than she is, strutting around the place. I can’t bear her presence in my workplace and I’ve always loved my job. It’s making me crazy.

read more

Read More

How To Deal With An Overbearing Colleague Who Pulls Rank In An Inter-Office Team Project?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a colleague who pulls rank
in an inter-office team: How can I handle this in a way
that doesn’t reflect badly on my work? 

Question:

I have had some tension with a female colleague (herein after I refer to her as “T”). I think T. is getting more and more overbearing and I would like to know how to deal with or handle this conflict professionally so as not to affect my work product. I work for a large multinational organization and I have been working here for a little over two months.. I interviewed for a Vice President of Implementation role but was offered the role as an Assistant Vice President, with the promise of promotion to VP next year, which I am completely fine with. T. has worked here for 10 months and is a Vice President, but I do not report to her, although I work on a project team with her and another colleague, “N.”

read more

Read More