“Ask The Workplace Doctors” Is Still A Great Workplace Communications Resource

Ask The Workplace Doctors has almost 3,000 questions and answers
for you to search. Or, ask your own question!

For over a decade, Ask the Workplace Doctors, the site developed by William I. Gorden, Ph.D., of Kent State University, School of Communication Studies, has been a workplace communications resource for thousands of people, from around the world. You can still count on us to provide practical, reasonable, useful and compassionate advice. However, we are dealing with problems related to the appearance of some of the questions and answers and hope you will patient about those.

read more

Read More

My Boss Wants Me To Do Leadership Training

A Letter to Ask the Workplace Doctors about Leadership Training

*************************************************

My boss asked me to incorporate leadership training into our Conference department to help benefit the team as a whole. I was eager to begin working on this, as I reflect back to my college experiences both in your class and the organizations I was involved in. Not only am I referencing team building activities I learned, but I’ve also started reading your books to help lead me in the right direction for my team.

read more

Read More

Anxiety and Depression Over Workplace Treatment

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about anxiety and depression caused by workplace conflict where an employee has felt bullied and ostracized for two years.

*********************

Question:
A few years back a coworker shared with me her displeasure at finding out a new person was making more money than her….She found out by opening the new persons pay There was no reasoning with her and I listened to her rants daily. I finally spoke with a subordinate. Well it turns out I was made the scapegoat.

read more

Read More

Accused Me of Gossiping About Her

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about personal privacy.

I was falsely accused by a new colleague, what to do? A new colleague very unexpectedly during a casual conversation suddenly started yelling at me and accused me in gossiping about her for the last several weeks. She was loud enough to attract everybody’s attention. My multiple polite requests to calm down and discuss her concerns in one of the offices were ignored and she told that she heard me talking about her and discussing her with others. (more…)

read more

Read More

Toxic Environment for Vet

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a supervisor who shows up half the time he clocks in and management that allows that.

I have worked for this company for just over a year now and I have been through two Managers. My immediate supervisor and I are the only two in the maintenance crew and he takes full advantage of my work ethic.

Last year roughly 1500 work orders were put into the system, of which I completed 1100. My supervisor consistently comes into work one hour late, takes a two hour lunch and leaves an hour early. He gets paid hourly and clocks out online from his home computer. (more…)

read more

Read More

A Year At My Job. How Can I Get a Promotion?

A question to the Workplace Doctors about how to get a promotion in spite of limited tenure.

****************************

Question:

I’ve done an amazing job in my position in a short amount of time. I want a promotion. We’re a small department and I’m the most senior person with my title and, again, I’m excellent at what I do (constant praise by boss on my work and I’ve really moved the company forward).

Another employer (not in my field) just contacted me and offered me an interview for a position they are trying to fill. I am somewhat interested in the position. More importantly, I am thinking of going through the application process to get the job so that I can use the job offer to negotiate a promotion and raise at the CURRENT job so that I can stay there (without moving on to a new job).

read more

Read More

Living With Past Violation

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a woman feeling violated because a departed boss had her emails monitored and distributed and had a guard watch her.

Is it legal for security to read emails I send on a work computer from a Gmail account, and then distribute them to other staff members?

I am a researcher in a basic science lab. I had a huge falling out with my boss 1.5 months before I was to be laid off (he was moving to another university). It is my understanding that he tried to fire me but couldn’t b/c he’d just given me a very positive review a couple months prior. (more…)

read more

Read More

Are They Talking About Me?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about feeling excluded because of the boss and a coworker speaking in a different language

My boss constantly speaks Punjab to one of the employees in front of me when she and the employee speak fluent English. Is this allowed in the work place. I feel like I am constantly being talked about due to the fact they only do it around me.

Signed Feeling Excluded

Dear Feeling Excluded: There are few things more aggravating than not knowing the language of others who are talking in your presence. Is it allowed? I know of no law against that. Do you want your boss to not speak in Punjab to this particular employee? I’m sure you have you considered how speaking to an employee in his/her native language is uniquely appreciated and probably more efficient?

read more

Read More

Where Should I Report Billing Staff for a HIPAA Violation?

A Question to the Workplace Doctors about a billing office employee who violated HIPAA by gossiping about a medical condition. 

**********************

The billing office at my local hospital had gossiped with my previous doctor’s billing nurse. She in turn gossiped with the office staff. I ignored that incident. My current doctor is in a medical office building with the same billing department. Recently, while visiting my dentist, things were said to me that could only have come from the hospital billing department and my doctors office. To say I’m upset is an understatement. I do not want to ignore it this time. However, I do not want to change doctors as this doctor and hospital are the best in the area. Should I discuss it with my doctor, administration, or HIPAA ?

read more

Read More

Perfumes She Wears Flares Up My Nose

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about Irritating Perfume

I work in a family practice, one of our doctors wears/bathes in perfume that I know when she is in the building before I see her. No one else complains or acts like this is bothering them. The perfumes she wears instantly flare up my nose and this causes me to get irritated, I have actually used some medical orange scented spray to try to neutralize , but I am too busy to continue this on a daily basis! Now the reason I haven’t approached the office manager is because when many times I have mentioned that perfumes/colognes should not be used in a medical office, she blows it off. We do have a few signs that say not to wear perfumes as they may cause migraines or allergies to other patients or office staff.

read more

Read More

Can My Husband Be Fired for Having An Affair at Work (And Should I Tell?)

A question to the Workplace Doctors about reporting a husband
who is having an affair at work. 

***************************************************************

Question: My husband is the president of a company and has recently started an affair with one of his direct report managers. He is denying it but I have evidence- it’s been going on 7 weeks.

He has managed to negotiate a $12K pay rise for her literally 2 weeks after they first slept together. This was backed up all the way by my husband- even going over the head of the HR manager to get them to offer his mistress more money. I am really thinking of contacting HR and my husband’s bosses (who own the company) to tell them what’s going on. I think it’s bad enough having a relationship like this but adding in the salary increase is dishonest. He might get a pay out or he might not…but I want him to lose his job as I feel it’s the only chance we have of saving our marriage of 14 years and our family of 3 young sons.

read more

Read More