Can Health Care Be Taken Out Of My Check?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about health care: Can I also tell my boss I don’t want health care, even though it’s not offered?

I work for a family owned company that has a total of 5 stores throughout the Chicago area and suburbs. I work about 25-30 hours a week and I do not have any dependents. I get 15% off my check for taxes. I see that some of that 15% says for medical care but my employer does not offer us health care. My sister said she told her boss she didn’t want health care so they are not discounting health care from her pay, though she works at a large company. Can I also tell my boss I don’t want health care, even though it’s not offered? Can it even be possible to take health care and not offer it?

Signed, Unsure About Insurance

Dear Unsure About Insurance:

Ask the person in charge of payroll to explain the various deductions on your check, especially the part that concerns you. Or, show the deductions section of your check to someone who is knowledgeable about taxes; maybe a tax preparer you will use or just an older friend who has been in business. It could be that you are seeing Medicare or Medicaid listed as a deduction, along with Social Security and other taxes. It could also be that an error has been made and that your pay is being calculated as though you are a full-time employee when you might usually be considered part-time.

Some businesses provide health care for full-time employees but not for part-time employees. However, if you find out that money for health insurance is being deducted but you are not getting those benefits, you should write a request to have those deductions stop immediately. It seems logical that you should also get back deductions taken out incorrectly.

If your employer refuses to stop the deductions and you feel there is an error you should contact the Department of Labor in your state and ask them about laws governing employer deductions.I would bet there is a simple explanation and that the deductions are correct. But, you should know exactly what each deduction is for anyway. Best wishes to you with this matter. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what you find out.