Going Sour. Or Communicate Effectively

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about coworker communication:

I currently work for the Cleveland Indians and our marketing department is going under new management. With everyone being with the company for a different amount of years, the communication between the employees and the new management are going sour. What are your suggestions to communicate effectively?

Signed, Going Sour

Dear Going Sour:

Because your questi0n lacks specific examples of “going sour” within your organization, my remarks are general. Therefore these few suggestions:

1. What is wrong with communication between management and the rest of the organization? You can’t fix what you can’t describe. So from your position in marketing what isn’t as good as it might be? If there are interpersonal or interdepartmental problems, find over-arching goals that can make those who have complaints about each other see the value of the whole organization working collaboratively

2. Think team. What has marketing done that pleases management? What deserves applause? Build on that. Don’t complain. Don’t point fingers. Apply the same skull session collaboration that is in use by the team to marketing. Talk positively about each other within the department. Praise each other just as does the team high fives an effective play.

3. Know your product. Your product is your team and your stadium. So talk about players–tell their stories and do the same for people who buy tickets–tell their stories too.

4. See Marketing as you would if you owned the Indians. That means cutting wasted supplies, wasted time, wasted energy, and wasted money. In short, see the big picture and  don’t walk within your working area or about the stadium without picking up trash. Don’t expect someone else to do the clean up. Every part of the park and organization is waiting for your department to see them as essential to the Indian’s organization.

5. Raise awareness that professional ball has evolved from playing for the fun of it.

Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. If any of these thoughts makes sense and can be applied to your department, please let me know how.