Good Feeling Workplace Moment: Daily Greeting and Farewell From Boss

I want to share a good feeling workplace moment that I noticed while I was doing business in an office. As I was talking to a person at a counter, a woman who appeared to be a manager, came down the line of employees and briefly said goodbye to each person. When she got to the employee who was helping me, she paused a bit, looked at me and said, “Forgive me for interrupting you, I just wanted to say goodbye to Veronica before I leave for the day. Are you getting everything taken of as you need?”

I said yes, that Veronica was helping me just fine. She said, “Good! We’re happy to serve you and Veronica is an expert!” Then, she looked at Veronica and said, “Carry on, I just wanted to say goodnight and I’ll see you tomorrow.” She gave her a smile and walked on.

As she left, Veronica said to me, “She’s the best manager we’ve ever had. ¬†Every night she says goodbye to each of us who are working the later shift, more like a friend than a boss. I just love working for her.”

That exchange particularly interested me, because it was about such a simple thing—the boss says goodbye to employees every night. Another aspect of it was that Veronica was appreciative of her manager’s efforts. I have known some employees who would frown afterwards and complain that the manager was always looking over her shoulder under the pretext of saying goodnight! So, good feeling workplace moments take a sender AND a receiver. This one worked–and made an impression on me.