My Name Removed From Physician’s Patient Roster

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about verbal abuse:

I have received a letter from my doctors surgery removing me as I had apparently used abusive language and aggressive behaviour towards a nurse. I had an appointment for a blood test and was kept waiting for over 50 minutes. I am very nervous about needles when I was called in to the nurse my mum asked if it would take very long as we both had to be back at work.

The nurse replied however long it takes to print a form off and however long it takes to get the blood from me. My mum then asked me if I wanted to have the blood test and I said no so we said we would leave it thank you and re-schedule. We went to reception to ask for the nurses name and practice managers name as we wanted to put in a complaint.

They gave us the names and left.

1 week later I had a letter stating they were going to remove me my mum rang and spoke to the practice manager and advised her that this was in fact a lie. Today i have received a letter from the health authority stating i will be removed from the surgery as of 1st December. We have had no call back from anyone at the surgery. My mum my family and I would like to know how to take this further. My mum is a receptionist at a local surgery for 8 years so is very aware of behaviour in this environment.

Signed, Frustrated

We’re not from the UK and certainly have no expertise in National Health Service matters. However, perhaps I can provide a little bit of information to be helpful. Apparently your physician has removed you from his list of patients in the NHS program. I did some research and found that the most common reason for removal is, as you were told about your own situation, “abusive and aggressive behaviour towards a nurse.”

However, that phrase is one of the acceptable reasons for removal and is used to describe serious situations as well as mild ones. For example, it could refer to a situation in which a receptionist or nurse feels that patient is showing a lack of courtesy and is creating a hostile or angry situation. That may have seemed to be the case when you were there.Further, doctors can remove patients who fail to appear for tests or who refuse to take tests when scheduled. That may have added to the situation. It could also be that when your mother asked for the names of the Practice Manager and the Nurse, they thought, “Uh oh! We might get in trouble!” So, they decided the best way to deal with it was to say you and your mother were the problems, not them. NHS rules that I found say that you can’t be removed from a physician’s list merely for making a complaint.

I would think that would also apply to indicating that you *might* make a complaint.Here is a link that discusses making a complaint about a physician or his or her staff. You may be able to find assistance through that process.http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1083.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=162.

One way to present a complaint of that nature is to describe the setting (time you had waited, etc.), then write out a dialogue so the person reading it can “hear” what was said. It can sometimes help to make notes about tone of voice or facial expressions.For example:Nurse Green (with a frown on her face): What do you want me to do about? Me (trying to sound reasonable): I want you to help me understand the process, that’s all.Nurse Green: Well, you wouldn’t understand the words, so why should I waste my time? (She then turned her back on me and walked over to another person.)By writing it out in that way you can review the situation yourself and see if you can understand the viewpoint of the nurse or receptionist who complained about your actions. In addition, it will give the person reading it a good picture of what happened.One thing to keep in mind is that once there is a loss of trust and congeniality in the relationship between a patient and the physician’s staff, it’s probably better to find a different primary care physician. Your NHS plan has a process for that and it may be necessary in this case.Best wishes to you with this situation.