Uneaqual Pay

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about unfair pay: I am paid the minimum wage but my co-worker, who does exactly the same job as me, gets more.

I currently work as a production operator in a factory. I have worked there for 7 years. I am paid the minimum wage but my co-worker, who does exactly the same job as me, gets more. He has been given a pay raise even though my time keeping and punctuality are much better. I feel, as though my boss is doing his utmost to make me feel uncomfortable and wants me to leave, but has no reason to sack me. I feel victimized, and my co-worker has also stated that it seems unfair. Is there anything that I can do about this I am extremely unhappy.

Signed, Same Work, Less Pay

Dear Same Work, Less Pay:

Same work less pay. You want to know why. Have you had a head-to-head talk with your boss? Have you told him that you are committed to do good work and want to get raises just as others have to do the same work that you do? Is it not better to voice your unhappiness than to gossip to family, co-workers and friends? Have you asked why you are being paid less? Can you keep your cool and have this kind of conversation with your boss? If you can, do so. It is understandable that you feel hurt and unhappy. Feel free to tell us what you do. Persist respectfully and don’t allow your self to wallow as a victim. Think of what is good for your self and your workplace; what I call WEGO.