Unpaid Travel

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about travel-time pay.

I am an hourly employee and was just told I will not be paid for the time I travel to a trade show even though it is on my day off. Is that legal in Utah?

Signed, To Go On My Own Dough

Dear To Go On My Own Dough:

We answer workplace communication questions, not legal. You might consult your state department of labor. I doubt that there is any law that employees must be paid for travel time to a show on a workday. Check with your personnel or Human Resources to learn more. If you don’t have a union that has negotiated such rules, you most likely must voice your displeasure and then determine to go or not to go.

Don’t blame your boss; such matters are company determined. As and if you gain influence in your organization, you should have more voice in such matters. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. By that I mean I wish the best for your interests and those of your company. It’s in your company’s interest to create an employee friendly workplace–fairness is what matters. I expect that executives in your organization get their travel paid and those lower will not until they collectively voice their concern for fairness.