Written Complaint About Me

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being accused of verbal abuse: The letter is not a direct complaint from the person who allegedly witnessed this.

I had a written complaint written to my boss that I allegedly verbally abused the disabled people I work with. I am sure this is written by my x partner’s family. Prior to me finding out about this accusation, my boss was at the same function as my x partner’s mother. The letter is not a direct complaint from the person who allegedly witnessed this. Rather it was written by a third party. There was also no date of the accusation. My boss appears to already have made up his mind that the lies are true. I have told him that I have an ongoing dispute with this lady. What can I do my x has written a statement to say he believes they are making up lies.

Signed, I Didn’t

DearĀ I Didn’t:

It’s upsetting to be accused of misconduct and particularly it’s disturbing when you believe it is malicious. You have told your boss that the letter he received was not true–that you did not verbally abuse disabled patients and you’ve explained what you think is the source of the letter of complaint.

The next step is to make a written request that this accusation be formally investigated, and that if there is not credible evidence of what you are accused, a statement of this should be put in your file along-side the letter or else the letter should be discarded. It is your boss and your employer’s responsibility to investigate complaints. They can be sued if they allow abuse. Therefore, approach this accusation seriously. Say you know how important it is to communicate with and to treat everyone, and especially the disabled with respect.

Pledge your cooperation and say you want to clear your name. You don’t say how long you have worked at this job, but surely if you have been there long enough to have a performance review, there should an evaluation that you do good work and that there is no report of mistreating the disabled. Meanwhile, perform your job well. Even an unjust complaint about how we communicate with others should cause us to ask if we have been abrupt, aloof, or unkind. Now there’s doubt because of this letter.

I’m sure you have looked in the mirror and asked if there might have been times when you have been less than warm in trying to get cooperation from one or more of your patients. That is the good side of what this letter should have caused you to do. I know that it isn’t easy to please everyone, but the rule of thumb is to speak to them as you would like to be spoken to. That means to ask and not to order and to do so with a warm voice and friendly smile.

Also I’m sure you know how important it is to connect with your patients. They care that you care. Yours is an importantĀ  job. You, as a caretaker, are among the most important of our professions. Undoubtedly you can find ways to make your workplace the kind of place in which you would want to be if you are disabled. So make suggestions of small ways that make it become a more efficient, effective and happy place.

Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. By that, I mean wanting to come to work in an employee-employer friendly workplace does not just happen. Rather it is earned–earned by each of us listening to those who depend on us to make their voices heard and by speaking up when we feel something can be better. That’s talking the walk and walking the talk.