A Second Job?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about moonlighting:

I have an “OK” full time paying job. It helps pay my bills. I have been highly considering as of late looking for a second job (part-time/weekends). Our overtime has been gone for months now, yet new people start on Monday. If overtime is not needed, why hire? Our bonuses have been lower than in the past. Many people are leaving the company for better paying jobs.One girl recently left our company for a job that pays $4 more an hour. The managers and supervisors actually understand the situation. I recently asked my supervisor for any special projects. I did get one, but on regular time. She told me that she understands my financial needs. She even suggested a part-time job.

Here are my questions…. Did my supervisor mean well when she suggested a part-time job? I have been thinking of that myself, but that seems odd coming from a supervisor, considering most places frown upon moonlighting. If I do get a second job, how should I explain my current employment situation on the application or interview? I do plan on staying at my full time job until I find a better paying job. I plan on keeping a part-time job myself until I can get some of the extra money needed to get things back on track as well as saving up for the holidays this year. Thank you in advance.

Signed, Moonlighting?

Dear Moonlighting?:

Do not read something negative into your supervisor’s suggestion that you might find additional work, part-time. You said that she understands your need for money. So look for that part-time job in good conscience. You can be up front about wanting only part-time work. That should not cause an employer advertising for part-time help to do anything but think you are ambitious.

Don’t take on so much overtime that you short change your health, family, or need for rest and recreation. Review your money needs. Is it possible that you are spending eating out when you might be better off eating simply at home? Are you spending too much on cable, cell phones, interest on charge cards, etc? It is easy to be handcuffed to debt.

From here I can’t know why you feel the need, but you should weigh the long-term value of sticking with a job that doesn’t pay enough for your needs against jumping to one that pays more. The grass is not always greener just because it pays more green stuff.Plan and train if needed, for the kind of work that pays reasonably. But take care not to make money more important than finding that you like and a workplace that is worker friendly.

Thinking of your own best interest is best realized when you think of what is good for those who employ people committed to doing good. That is WEGO mindedness.

Second Opinion One of our valued guest respondents, who has administrative and Human Resources experience, adds his advice: Often companies have to “cut back” for various financial reasons. It sounds like your company is experiencing this situation. I do think your supervisor meant well by suggesting to you the part time job If there is no “over time” work, there may also be limited “special projects” to generate extra income for employees who request such. Think of it this way — a part-time job is a way of getting your foot in the door of another company which could possibly develop into a better full-time position than you currently have.

Often an employee seeking a position at a new company will ask that their current employer NOT be contacted for a reference … because of job security. When you explain to the new company where you will be seeking a part-time work that you need the “second” job for extra income and do not want your current position to be jeopardized, they will understand and honor your request. Having one or even two part-time positions is not uncommon at all today. You are lucky that your personal situation will allow you to do so. Often individuals want and need the second job, but just cannot accept another job, even part-time, because of their personal situation. You sound like an aggressive individual with a strong determination to success. Best of luck.

William.Gorden & Gerald Allen, guest respondent