A Slave to the Working World

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about bills for anxiety attack while at work and ambulance to hospital:

In mid-February I had to be taken away by an ambulance from work because I had an anxiety attack. My employer is well aware that for medical reasons, I need to eat every few hours. I work in a fast-paced environment and was declined my entitlement to a break when I asked, as we were short-staffed that day. As a result I began shake, hyper-venelate and cry hysterically. My fellow co-workers left me in the back by myself, as they were attending to customers on the floor. It wasn’t until my body became numb and I collapsed on the floor that one of my co-workers called an ambulance. If that isn’t enough, my employer attempted to cover up the incident by neglecting to notify the corporate headquarters. The employer violated the 24-hour rule for which they are to call in an incident. As a result, I have received numerous ambulance bills for which I am not responsible. I brought this to the attention of my employer on 4 separate occasions. The employer was unwilling to be pro-active in resolving this issue.

When the employer was made aware of the situation, the original incident report filed was suddenly “missing’ and a new one was immediately drawn up. I am still receiving bills 4 months later. My employer has clearly neglected to effectively execute my requests to resolve this matter. While I no longer work for this employer, I am left with an unresolved issue. Why, when I have clearly communicated my needs, rights, and anticipated results, have I fallen short of a resolution? My manager had routinely expressed, “I am always here for you,” yet when I needed a matter resolved, the door was closed. I find this double standard to be true in several business environments for which I’ve been a part.

Companies have these “open door policies,’ but often fall short of abiding them. Why? Lastly, I am also wondering how can I effectively communicate to my employer this policy violation? e

Signed, A Corporate Whore

DearĀ A Corporate Whore:

My first read of your situation led me to think you were still employed in the place in which you had the anxiety attack. But apparently, now you are not, but are receiving ambulance bills.We do not give legal advice, but you may need to learn if an attorney can help. Usually the first consultation is free. Take your log of what happened to one. Learn if one is willing to handle the case. She/he may advise patience, and probably also will advise that you again inform the corporate headquarters, this time in a registered letter, that since this matter is four months old, you will seek legal help unless given assurance they are handling it.

You obviously are distressed and alienated at the whole corporate world. Ill health and the stress of your job no doubt aggravated the anxiety attack. Now hospital bills are causing you to play this incident over and over, so much so that it likely sours you on all workplaces and might bleed on family and friends. Is this happening? Are you telling and retelling your troubles to all who will lend an ear? That may be natural but self-destructive.

Check to see if this is the case. Then, if so, do what you can to resolve it and put it to bed. Now it is time for you to focus on health of body and mind. You cannot do that if you are obsessed by it.

Reflect on all the good that you can do in your little circle for yourself and others. Each day find some good thing to be thankful for and some thoughtful act you can do of others. If you can do that you will see the sunshine and not just the dark clouds. Life will be better and you may be surprised that the feeling of being a corporate whore will fade away. “Give yourself away” (provided that you are not giving away a soured self) is a prescription for difficult times and alienation. Does this make sense and apply to you? If not, ignore this sermon. You won’t be sent a bill for it. Feel free to keep me posted on how you work through what are difficult times.