Accused of a Racial Comment. What Now?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about racial comment:

I am on suspension pending investigation because I have been accused of making a racial comment

I can imagine how upsetting this is, especially if you feel you did not make a comment that could be considered racial or if the comment you made was not something you would usually say. At least there will be an investigation of the situation–some workplaces don’t provide that. If you have information or witnesses that you think can help your cause, make sure the people investigating your situation know about it. If you did, in fact, make a statement that was racial, perhaps you can offer an explanation about the context in which it was said. Or, the company may take into account your work history and lack of prior complaints. You might also be able to provide witnesses to the situation.

You don’t have much control over it at this point and will have to wait to see what is decided. However, you can at least help yourself by not calling to find out what is going on or talking to coworkers who may want to discuss it with you. I know that’s tough! But, you’ll be better off keeping this as low level as possible.Best wishes to you!