Annoyance With A Coworker

Question:

I have a coworker who is actually a manager for a different retail store, who just a few weeks ago was my friend. He also once was my assistant manager whom I taught all about the business. At this time, he continually tries to sabotage my employee and me. He’s sneaky and tries very hard to get me fired or in trouble with my boss. Why? I don’t know. What can I do to protect my team and myself? I’d like to show the company his true evil intention.

Annoyed & More

Answer:

Dear Annoyed & More:

What did this coworker ex-friend and former assistant actually do to try to get you fired? Have you logged his sabotage; what, when, where and evidence that he did each or all of those times? Such a list would demonstrate whether these acts were real and more than an annoyance. Once you have such a log, you can tell him that you these must stop and if they don’t that you will report them up the chain of command.

Have you informed him that you don’t understand what it is that seems to motivate his attempts to get you fired? In short, might not confrontation prove worth the effort to learn his explanation and maybe a reconciliation? At least it might surface what appears to be secret. If he is a manager of a different retail store, might this mean that your store and his have management above you both? Are you rivals and might he be overly competitive; seeking to make your store less successful than his? Whatever the motivation, you have few alternatives other than to: · Log what you see as sabotage · Confront him · Take the evidence you have up the ladder · Steel yourself and watch your back. Competition and politics are part of competitive business. Fortunately, most of the time it is not dog-eat-dog and we can maintain good relationships. Sometimes we can make win-win more than a slogan, such as by encouraging your customers to also shop in his store.

Stay alert to maliciousness, but don’t become obsessed about the small stuff. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. Hopefully, you can be so focused on your store that your coworker-manager in a different store can realize that you want the best for his operation and not just your own.