BAD START

A question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a difficult start to a new job:
None of my coworkers know my name, and i don’t know theirs either. I’m a part time fast food worker and i got one day of training (we were barely shown anything) then i was thrown into 4-6 hour shifts by myself. i can’t even get ahold of my manager to get sick days, i just have to call in and hope she gets the memo. (Also, wasn’t given a clock in number, so i’m not being paid for my shifts) I’m debating on quitting but if my social anxiety makes it so hard to talk to my manager about things. i’ve been told that i’ll get in trouble if i don’t give notice, but this place clearly has terrible management to be treating new employees this rough. Signed –Bad Start

Dear Bad Start: you have learned early that the fast food workplace has serious problems. Should you stay beyond a day? We can’t say from this distance what is best. We don’t know your work history or qualifications, but I assume this is close to your first job. Yes, you are correct a well managed workplace has good training, introduction to coworkers and punch in information. Starting anxiety is normal. Yours is accentuated  because of inadequate management. So if you stay. Do the best you can to learn on the spot. Surely you can turn to coworkers, ask her or his name and quickly say, “Please what should I do? It’s my first day and I haven’t been told.” Think of this as a learning experience. That’s what it is. 

If you choose to quit, also see it as a learning experience. You have options such as not showing up, writing a brief note, calling the manager and leaving a voice message, and you might think of other ways of quitting. Sometimes that is best for both you and the workplace. You can apologize, but really it seems they are one who hired  you should apologize to you. 

Do you know someone who might advise you about how to get a job, questions to ask in a first interview and what you should expect. Do you have a high school or college advisor that can help you think through what might be your career direction and preparation you need for it? 

Please see this as you might if you were to visit a country, not knowing its language. Ask. Ask.That’s the way to learn. Take an hour or two to read several of the questions others have submitted to Ask the Workplace Doctors–they will inform you about what to expect, and study our advice, it will help prepare you how to adjust to different work situations. Let us know what you choose to do and how things are going for you after a while, if you can. –William Gorden