Bathroom Restrictions???

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about restroom restrictions:

Can an employer place restrictions on what restroom can be used? We have a restroom just a few steps from our workstation but it is also a restroom for the public to use. We were told that we could not use that restroom but had to use one much farther away, down the hall.

Signed, Gotta’ Go Farther

DearĀ Gotta’ Go Farther:

We make laws about almost everything and there might be federal and/or state laws about distance employees must travel to a restroom, but I doubt it. There are laws as to disability access to restrooms, surveillance of restrooms, public access to employee restrooms, irritable bowel (Crohn’s Disease) access, and. full-time gender equal access. We don/t provide legal advice; however, the best of my information, the only federal require pertaining to your question is that workers have reasonable access to restroom facilities. Might you simply consider it an opportunity to not have to use a restroom that is close to your workstation.

A walk might be a good for your coworkers and you, and if there is a special medical problem possibly an exception might be made for use of a closer facility.Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and the spirit of this statement implies workplace facilities should be reasonably available and clean.