Boss Defrauds The Government

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about false paperwork:

I work in a vocational facility placing people with mental illness into employment. My boss often falsifies paperwork and bills the state for placing someone in employment when he actually has not done so. What do I do? He is a pathological liar and has an unarguable answer for everything. Even when I say, “I talked to him and he’s not working”, he has an answer. How do I handle this?

Signed,   Ethical

Dear Ethical:

What you should do and what you are willing to do may be two different things in this case! It’s understandable to be concerned about the fallout when you report something of this nature.I think you should consult with an attorney about this matter–certainly you should at least ask for a free consultation to see where you might stand legally. An attorney could also advise you about whistle-blower protection for your job if your role in uncovering this illegal behavior creates a problem for you at work.An attorney could also look at your documentation and advise you about whether or not it appears the situation is criminal. Perhaps you are mistaken and the situation falls within guidelines. Probably not, but just in case, it’s worth checking.

I don’t want to give you generic advice about talking to someone above your boss, because you don’t know who might be involved in this activity. Anyone who is involved in defrauding government at any level has a lot at stake. People who feel that threatened may react in ways you would never expect. So, as much as you might not want to report directly to the state, that is the only way to ensure that your information will be acted upon and with protections for you.Your next step is to collect any documentation you have–records and reports, emails, etc. Develop a timeline to show how long you know this has been happening. Write out a list of the conversations you have had about this, to establish that your boss is aware there are discrepancies.Then, take the material you have to either the department that handles it or to the state attorney general’s office and ask for anonymity during the investigation. Another option, is to quit that job, then take your material to the state agency involved.

That is easier for me to say than for you to do, I realize. However, you may find your dislike of working for someone who you say is a liar and a cheat, outweighs the concern of finding another job.Keep in mind that if he would lie and defraud the government he certainly wouldn’t hesitate to do it to his employees!I know this will be a stressful situation, but the fact that you are concerned enough to write about it also shows you have an inner strength that will come through to help you.Best wishes with this. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what develops.

Tina Lewis Rowe

Tina Lewis Rowe

Tina had a thirty-three year career in law enforcement, serving with the Denver Police Department from 1969-1994 and was the Presidential United States Marshal for Colorado from 1994-2002. She provides training to law enforcement organizations and private sector groups and does conference presentations related to leadership, workplace communications and customized topics. Her style is inspirational with humor.