Boss Disappointed With My Report

Question:

I worked very hard on a report for my job. I am proud of my work. My boss looked at the report and said, “I am really disappointed. This was poorly done.” What do I do?

Disappointed

Answer:

Dear Disappointed:

You learn from your boss in what ways she/he was displeased with your report, and you redo it. I don’t know how long you have been employed and have worked for this boss, but if you are to continue to work there, it is your job to learn what is expected. Possibly you can get an example of the kind of reports that he/she wants.

Does this make sense? Your other option is to argue with the boss and tell him/her you worked hard and were proud of your report. That’s like telling the coach you played well when you were taken out of the game and were told you failed to play as desired. Or it’s like you telling your teacher that you should have gotten an A when she/he graded your paper D. Of course you can bite your tongue and feel sorry for yourself or you can gossip to coworkers that your boss doesn’t know what a good report is. None of these options make sense and I’m sure you know how defeating these options are. So learn from this. Your boss is your immediate customer, and she/he asked for a report that probably was to go to someone inside or outside your organization. Can you see your job first as pleasing your boss and then as beyond your boss to pleasing the ones who will also see your report? You can see your boss’ critique as devastating or you can learn from it. Even if you are fired, you can learn from it.

Life and work are filled with disapproval. The key in life is picking your self up when knocked down. Learn. Learn specifically what you did wrong.

Think beyond pleasing your boss to being one who adds value to your workplace. See ways to cut wasted supplies, wasted time, and wasted effort. Think of ways to make other’s work easier. Think of being a member of a team that brings sunshine to your workplace. Working is rarely a matter of working solo. It is learning what others want and expect. Your ego has been wounded and I feel for you. But now is the time to get beyond that. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.