Boss Spread Rumor I Am Pregnant

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctor about a rumor:

My boss spread a¬†Nax but I’m not. Is this a breach of confidentiality?

Signed, Gossiped About

Dear Gossiped About:

A breach of confidentiality would involve the boss telling people something you told him or her in confidence. Since you’re not pregnant, the rumors are just unfair and untrue gossip, apparently spread by your boss. You don’t say how you know your boss said such things. If there is a boss above your boss or an HR section, you could provide the names of witnesses or those to whom the boss talked and ask for an investigation or at least register a complaint. If there is no boss above your boss, you could tell him or her that you’ve heard there is a rumor that you’re pregnant (without saying you heard your boss is the one who started it) and you would like his or her help in getting the false rumors stopped.

You may also decide this is not the kind of place where you want to work very much longer. If your boss would spread such a rumor as that, he or she probably gossips about other things as well. One thing is for sure..it will soon be obvious that you are not pregnant (it may be obvious already) and your boss will look very foolish for starting such a rumor.

Hopefully he or she will lose credibility after that. Maybe the rumor wasn’t meant badly and your boss thought he or she was spreading happy news. If so, maybe you can just let your boss know that you’ve heard the gossip and it isn’t true and you’d appreciate it if he or she let people know that if they are talking about it. I hope this matter gets cleared up soon and you can feel more confident and positive about your workplace AND your boss. Best wishes to you.