Broken Promises

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a family business taken over by a daughter: I have worked under her since April 2012. Since then she is constant with blaming me for anything that goes wrong. She yells and cusses at me, tells me she is sick of me and my entire family, calls me a drama queen.

I am a property manager and work for a privately owned mobile home park as well a Recreational Vehicle park for the same owner. The owner is 93 and has given all authority to his daughter. She is a relator, never managed properties. I have worked under her since April 2012. Since then she is constant with blaming me for anything that goes wrong. She reneged on the her fathers promise that I could move into this 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house where the manager for them has lived over a period of twenty years they have owned this property.

She yells and cusses at me, tells me she is sick of me and my entire family, calls me a drama queen, calls my parents out of their name. Just the latest thing was my bonus. She told me when the previous manager quit that I would make more money than they ever did. NOT. I do two managers job and make 1000.00 less a month than use to be paid to both managers. I also gave up my free apartment, thinking I was moving into this house. She rents my old apartment for 1020.00 per month. I was told my bonus would be based off my ability to keep both parks occupied.

Since I have started 2004 one park has been 99.9% occupied and since 4-2012 the other park has been 100% occupied. This year my bonus did not come at the end of the year. She gave me 1200.00 on 2-8-13. My bonus this year is 1000.00 less than last year. I was told I could see the report that assisted her in arriving with a figure of 1200.00…..days of waiting because she mailed me a copy, to hear today she is not giving me anything and that my work is less that substandard. How do I get thru this ordeal. Our maintenance man quit because she hold his pay when she is mad. Today yelling and cussing at me saying that this is all my fault and I have caused all these problems. She text me she’s warning me to not harass her and that I am on notice. please help me.

Signed, Worried and Frustrated

Dear Worried and Frustrated:

Your issues go far, far past a communication problem. I realize cost is a factor, but you should get an attorney or at least seek some kind of legal advice. For one thing, the fact that the owner’s daughter is talking about harassment indicates she is setting the stage for something, none of which is good news for you.You need to find any paperwork you have that states the promises you were made. If there is nothing in writing, you may not have any legal recourse and she can continue to deny any previous understanding.

If you have it in writing, save the original and send the copy to her to make your case about what is owed to you.In the meantime, be sure that nothing you do rises to the level of harassing by phone or in person and do not do anything she could construe as a threat. She probably is trying to prevent you from talking to her father about this, but any contact might be problematic. I wish I could give you some advice to help you recover the money you were supposed to receive, but that is just a symptom of a much bigger issue. You need to protect your interests and unfortunately an attorney may be the only person who can help you do so. Best wishes in this challenging situation. If you have the time, please let us know what you do and how it works out.