Bullied About Gossiping

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about asking about gossip.

If a supervisor calls a worker into the office and asks the worker, “Are you spreading rumors about me and another young lady because it was told to me and my wife on yesterday.” Did he just bully that worker?

Signed, Wondering

Dear Wondering:

It doesn’t sound like any bullying took place. If he had said angrily, “If you ever talk about me again, I’ll have your job!”, that might be considered bullying and threatening. Instead, he asked about a rumor, which is his right to do as a manager.Perhaps a better way to have handled it would for him to have gone to HR to make a formal complaint and ask that the employee be questioned about it. However, doing some supervisory investigation was appropriate too.I hope that answers your question. Best wishes to you.