Bullied By Manager

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a response to grievance:

My manager is asking me to move to another section after I raised grievance against her.

Signed, Wants Me Out

Dear Wants Me Out:

You have a choice: to transfer or to stay? Right? How long ago was your grievance made and how is it being handled? Whether you opt to leave probably depends on whether an investigation finds in your favor for your grievance. If it does, HR and/or upper management likely will advise how it should be handled. Separation sometimes is the easiest remedy. Therefore management might advise the best action would be to separate you and your boss, just as has your boss asked of you. Or management might reason your boss and you should learn to work cooperatively without bullying and aggravation that might provoke bullying.

If that is their recommendation, perhaps a program will be proposed to hammer out rules of communication to be followed that will make working under your boss worth trying. Superior and subordinates should be able to talk out what each thinks is a reasonable manner for giving and taking assignments.

This brings up the real issue: what provoked your grievance and what might you have done to prompt the boss’s behavior? Possibly the matter is rooted in the way your boss has or hasn’t learned how to boss, or on the other hand your manager’s behavior that troubled you might be traced to the way you react to the boss. In short, since you have made a grievance, now is the time for you to think through your answer to that question and to be prepared to cooperate with those who will investigate it.I know that you don’t have to like a boss or be liked by a boss to learn to work cooperatively.

Talking about how you two talk or fail to communicate can be the start of doing what both your manager and you were hired to do; that is to add value to your company.You might bear this thought in mind and be the one to propose a head-to-head meeting and follow up meetings between you and your boss, possibly with someone from HR to as facilitate. Spell out what bothers each of you and make rules that will help both your boss and you to do what you are hired to do. Put your faith in that.

Don’t allow the past to sour the future. Think we can; working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and that is what you want for your self and your boss and your workplace; a place in which you all want to come to work because you can make good and do good. Does this make sense?