Can Employees Say What’s On Their Minds?

Question:

Could we really say to our bosses what is on our minds?

Hesitant

Answer:

Dear Hesitant:

I doubt if any of us are always able to say exactly what is on our minds about work or anything else! We probably wouldn’t like everyone saying what is on their minds about us!

What Dr. Gorden and I emphasize is that employees should make the effort to honestly express appropriate thoughts in appropriate ways. You can be open and honest, but you will probably also need to censor a bit, be sensitive and use some good judgment about honesty compared to brutal honesty.

Dr. Gorden refers to WEGO, which is the concept of working together with head, hands and hearts to achieve success for the group and for individuals. That kind of team spirit means we need to communicate openly and helpfully, but we always need to use good judgment about the position of the person to whom we are talking, among other realities.

Work with others in your group and with your bosses too, to build the best possible workplace…starting with you.

Best wishes to you!