Can I Be Fired For Taking A Loan From A Co-Worker?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about borrowing money from a co-worke:

I accepted money from a co-worker, intending on paying them back. Can I get fired for doing this at work?

There is no way to know for sure how your employer would react to this situation. However, if you did not spend too much work time dealing with it and there is no conflict because you don’t pay it back, it seems doubtful they would know or care about a loan between employees.No one should talk about it anyway. But, if the word gets out, it probably wouldn’t result in anything more than warning you to handle your personal issues away from work. (And that would be the best policy if the situation ever happens again.)

For now you might want to tell the coworker that you would like to avoid problems for both of you by making sure you don’t talk about it more than necessary at work and that payment is made by mail or in person but away from the work site. Don’t give the coworker a check or even an envelope with money in it, while you’re on business property. If you don’t pay the coworker back, THEN there will probably be a severe conflict going on and that could create problems for you. But, hopefully that isn’t the case. You’ll pay back the loan and there will be no harm done. I hope that is exactly what happens!If you are a good employee, pleasant to be around and without any serious problems, you will be valued enough that no one will want to fire you, especially not for something like this. (Assuming there is not a rule warning you about it.) Focus on your good work and how fortunate you are to have a friend at work who cares enough about you to loan you money!Best wishes to you in all that you do.