Can I Get Fired For Complaining About My Boss?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about boss creating a hostile environment: He told me I get paid too much, asked me if I want to argue or fight with him whenever I enter his office. 

I have felt that for the past 10 months, I have been working in a hostile work environment. My boss has demeaned my position and character, told me I get paid too much, asked me if I want to argue or fight with him whenever I enter his office. I have shared my frustration with subordinates and it has gotten back to him and is going to HR. Can I get fired for saying too much?

Whether or not you can be fired for complaining about your boss will depend upon what was said and how it was said. However, if you really felt you were treated in a demeaning way, the place to go was HR, not just to coworkers.It’s still not too late to make sure your concerns are heard. Put a written package together that documents the things that have been said and done. List as many dates and witnesses as possible. Use exact quotes. Write what effect the remarks had on your ability to concentrate on work or what negative effect it had overall. At the end of the document say that you would like to have the matter investigated fully so the company can know exactly what has occurred, and so the bad behavior can be identified and stopped. Keep in mind that apparently not all of your coworkers support you. If they did they wouldn’t have reported your comments. So, you should not talk about your boss behind his or her back. Instead, do something constructive to stop the behavior that is creating such an unpleasant workplace for you.You may get in trouble for your remarks. Or, it may bring to light a problem that needs to be handled.

You may have your accusations proven, or the other viewpoints may indicate that you do not have a valid complaint. It would be wise to self-evaluate to make sure you are correct in your views. If you are sure you are, let the appropriate section investigate the matter fully and take action about it.Best wishes with this. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.