Can I Get In Trouble After Two Days?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about disciplinary action:

I forgot to inform my manager about a room I failed to clean. The next day he asked me about it and I was not sure if I had. And after two days, I realized that I forgotten it, and I told my manager. I apologized and I picked up another extra room to clean to make up for that. Can my manager still take discipline action against me? If yes, then how? If no, then why?

Signed, Working Worried

Dear Working Worried:

When you realized you had forgotten to clean a room he asked about, you told him. Moreover to make up for that, you cleaned another room. Can he still write you up? Can he punish you with some sort of discipline? Possibly, he can because such rules are made within a company. Will he, I don’t think he will? Should he? I don’t think so. Apparently, you are hired to clean and your boss should do all that is reasonable to make you happy in this kind of hard work. You should not have to worry about being disciplined. We all make mistakes and your manager should appreciate that you acknowledged you had made one.

Is there a lesson from this? You should keep your boss informed about what you’ve done and not done. That is the way a trusting boss/bossed relationship should be. And if you one day become a manger, I’m sure you will appreciate that those you boss can make mistakes as you once did. Good bosses help develop systems so that those they manage can prevent mistakes.

Possibly you will suggest a way that to record what you do immediately upon completing a room and make it a habit to check that off. So smile today. Life is too short to work worried. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. By that, I mean whatever your job and with whomever you work there will be mistakes, but we can be corrected and prevented if we help each other to do all that is reasonable and a bit more to make others’ jobs easier and more effective. That includes your manager’s.