Can’t Get HR To Talk To Me About My Transfer

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about suspension and indefinite future:

I reside in the state of Florida and have worked for one of the main theme parks as a security officer for almost 10 years. For the past year or so I have been watched, reprimanded and now suspended for being a “favorite” under one of the supervisors.

On Feb 6th I was interrogated regarding attendance points not given by the supervisor and also receiving award dollars for no apparent reason. The supervisor in question was fired on the same day.On February 11th I was interviewed by my direct manager and the HR rep. They didn’t make a final decision then.

On Feb. 19th the HR rep called me with the news that I was not welcomed back in the security department and that I had two choices A) transfer to another department or B) they will terminate my employment with the option of appeal. I chose A and was told I’ll be getting a phone call on the 22nd with a new work location and pay rate. I didn’t receive a call. I made attempts to speak to HR rep twice on the 22nd and twice on the 24th. Should I seek legal advice? Thank you .

Our usual advice is that if you have any doubts you should get an attorney. Among the things to consider are: Could there be an accusation that you did something illegal? For example, might you be required to pay back money wrongfully gained? If you think you, even inadvertently, did something fraudulent, you may want to at least speak to an attorney’s representative about what the attorney could do for you. Usually an attorney would be involved in actual representation or in writing to the company to say they should either do something or let you get back to work.You might also wish to get an attorney if you had a contract and some portion of that is being violated.Your decision about that is up to you, but if you have concerns that might at least allay them.

I think, if I were you, I would fax or email a written request to HR, so you have written documentation. Be civil and tell them you had waited for the call on the 22nd, as they had promised, and had tried to contact them several other times, but hadn’t heard anything back from them.You can say that you need a definite response from them about where you are to work and what your salary will be, so you can be ready for your new assignment. Give them your phone number and ask if they can call you right away or send you an email immediately. I think it would be useful to close with something positive like, “I appreciate your help on this and will waiting for a call or email as soon as possible today.”Best wishes with this situation.