Changed Jobs And Should Not Have!

Question:

I have recently changed positions. I was a bank teller and now work for a finance company in the call centre. I am finding the call centre work to be extremely demanding and think I am losing my mind. I was part time and now full time, I have been so stressed with the call centre that I asked to do part time. > I am so embarrassed to leave, but am not sure what to do, the bosses are so nice but saying the same thing over and over really gets to me. I don’t know what to do. I love the full time pay but am not coping. Any suggestions?

Bad Decision

Answer:

Dear Bad Decision:

I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling so much–it sounds painful. I didn’t know the whole history, especially that you worked in a call centre before and didn’t like it. But getting down on yourself won’t help you to move forward. It might cause you to sink into more confusion and dismay. I give you credit for trying it again, even if a call centre might not be your “calling.” (Yes, a pun, I hope it made you smile!). To me, that shows a willingness to try something again. That’s a good quality and not a reflection of failure. I also didn’t know that your therapist suggested that you stay as a teller and work that situation out. Have you ever had any career assessment testing? Various companies are doing it and it can be done online. Maybe your company has an in-house program or they could recommend one. Is there an HR (Human Resource) department there? Also, there are Life and Career Coaches that can help you assess your skills and look forward (whereas more traditional therapies often focus on past experience). I’m not saying therapy is bad or not appropriate. Perhaps you could look for job or career assistance as well. Maybe you could talk to the managers you’ve worked with lately. You could explain your frustrations in a sincere and honest way (you might have already done that). Perhaps they might have some suggestions. Have you asked them? Maybe customer service just isn’t your thing. Depending on your education and training, are there other areas you are drawn to?

Do you have interests in technology? Perhaps by trying to work with the resources you have, a better job or career plan can be created. None of this is failure. Lots of us have moved around and tried new things to find our niche. Perhaps you could think of it more as a long-term situation rather than something that has to be resolved today? I really hope these thoughts are helpful! Steven H. Carney, Guest Respondent, Author, The Teamwork Chronicles The Workplace Doctors WEGO is finding what works for you and others!