Co-Worker Grabs the Work and Awards!

Question:

I have a co-worker who goes out of her way to jump and do everything ahead of everyone else. Our leader asks her to do extra work and she always gets an award. She doesn’t always finish the extra work or do it right but they do not know that.

My problem is that I can’t seem to get ahead and I would like to do extra work also. The extra work is gone by the time I can get to it because she has it. I do not get an award! What should I do?

Frustrated

Answer:

It sounds as though you have three options:

1. Talk to your supervisor and tell him or her that you would like to show that you can do great work too–but that you don’t feel comfortable cutting out someone else. Ask them to suggest the best way for extra work to be equitable and fair for you AND for everyone else. 2. Check about extra work more often than your coworker, or ask for it out right almost every day. Be there first and do a great job with it.

3. Talk to your coworker and tell her that you would like to get to do some of the extra work and thus get the awards, but can’t seem to do it. Ask her if she has suggestions for you. That’s not as odd as it sounds. She might be happy to be of assistance. If you know she wouldn’t be, you’re left with the first two options–both could work.

If you are doing excellent quality work and you let your supervisor know you want to do even more excellent quality work as a way to contribute and to win awards, I would think you could get that extra work. There would be no reason, I assume, to keep you from doing it. So, apparently timing is everything.

However, while you are at it, maybe you can be the one who helps everyone get ahead a bit, by seeing if there is a way more people can become involved in the extra work and awards. Your coworker seems to be thinking only of herself. You can provide leadership by thinking of others as well.

Best wishes as you deal with this