Communication About Salary Issues

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about salary:

Everyone knows that the economy is bad right now. Therefore, most people understand the situation. However, to go two years in a row without a salary increase is hard to take, especially if you are working hard or harder at the same pace. What hurts everyone is that Top Management made no mention this year about us not getting a raise. Isn’t there a responsibility to at least say something? When I ask my boss, he says he hasn’t heard anything.

Signed, In The Dark

DearĀ In The Dark:

I agree with you that there should be open, honest and immediate communication about what is happening with salaries. Whatever the situation, wise management lets employees know. However, it is usually left up to immediate supervisors and mid-level managers to communicate the information. In most larger companies individuals are compensated differently, even within departments when they are doing many of the same things. This is based on a variety of issues, usually stemming from requests by the manager as part of budget requests.

I’m wondering if that is the case there and some employees have heard about their salaries while others have not.Consider sending an email to HR, if you have an HR or Personnel Section, and ask if an announcement will be made about salary plans and what the future looks like as far as cost of living raises or benefits. Perhaps in the reply about it, you will hear something definitive. I’m sorry you have been put in a situation of asking your boss about it.

Optimally, he would be coming to you and others to tell them everything he hears and when he has requested information and what the results were.But, maybe he genuinely is frustrated too. And, maybe he is embarrassed to admit he is not aware of the information. Best wishes to you in this. Now you know how important it is to keep employees informed about as many work issues as possible. When you are a supervisor or manager you can make that a top priority!