Conflict of Interest?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about conflict of interest:

A person was hired by our company, worked for a year and then went into business for himself. His position was advertised but not filled. Recently, I was informed that they would not be hiring for that position and would use the person that quit as the go to person. Is this a conflict of interest?

Signed, Gone but Not Gone

DearĀ Gone but Not Gone:

Is hiring a former employee for special projects a conflict of interests? I doubt that it is. Even if that person has started his own business along the same lines, there probably is no harm done by contracting for his services. Perhaps if you could explain why you wonder and provide specific ways it has been or might be. I would think differently. Sometimes there is a no-compete for a specific time for an employee who leaves and starts his own or joins a related business. But your brief query gives no hint of that.

Please feel free to consult others and to inform us of what you learn. I wish the best for you and your company. Don’t allow such questions as this to bug or sour you, if for example you had wanted to replace the one who left. Work as if you owned the place. Help your company do well and do good. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.