Coworkers Are Ganging Up Against Me

Question:

Coworkers are ganging up against me. What can I do?

Worried

Answer:

I’m sorry that this is happening at work. It feels terrible to have people treating you badly when you are working. Work is tough enough without that!

What you should do depends on what they are doing. If they are threatening to physically harm you, you should immediately go to your boss and, if necessary, to the police. If they are keeping you from doing your work or making work miserable, you should talk to your boss about it as well. Tell him or her what is happening and ask for advice and assistance. Yes, that means they will probably know what you have done, if he says something to them. But, it’s the only way to get his support.

If the coworkers are just being rude and unpleasant, you may find you will have to wait it out and figure they will find something better to do. If there is even one person who you can talk to there, let that person know you only want to do your job, not cause trouble.

You should also make sure that you are not doing anything that has caused your coworkers to dislike you. If they ganging up to complain about you or your work, maybe they think they are just trying to get you to change or improve, when you won’t do it on your own. I’m not saying that is the cause, but it’s always worth considering.

Finally, you may find you are better off to just quit that place and find a better place to work. Usually, unless you are in a very unique job, there are similar jobs available.

I hope you’re able to find a way to at least stop the worst behavior, even if you never become friends with these coworkers. Over time they may leave, change their actions or just accept you better. But, if they don’t, you will need to make a decision about what you will put up with and how bad it makes you feel.

Best wishes to you with this. If you have the time and want to do so, let us know what happens.