Discredit

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about coworker assertion of insanity:

My coworker is discrediting me by telling everyone I am crazy. I ignored it at first but my boss confessed that he dismissed a lot of my claims because of it and apologized. What can I do to get back at her?

Signed, Frustrated and Angry

Dear Frustrated and Angry:

You don’t want to get back at her, which will only add to the rumors that you aren’t in control of yourself. Instead talk to your boss again and make sure he helps you clear this up. Ask him if he will help you by directing her to stop her remarks. Then, ask if he could also help by talking to everyone about the problem of vicious and mean-spirited gossip.

The truth is that if no one listened to her, she wouldn’t keep saying false things. So, everyone involved in responsible. You also may need to consider why she is making the remarks. Certainly she shouldn’t do so under any circumstances. But, it never hurts to examine your own behavior to make sure you haven’t given her the weapons to use against you. For example, if you lose your temper, if you have some unnerving habits, if you say or do unusual things quite often. All of those might add to her stories, even though she may exaggerate it to make it look worse.Another thing you can do is build positive relationships with other employees so they are much less likely to talk about you negatively and much less likely to believe her. They may not be your best friends, but you can show them that you are a dependable, honest and credible employee.Best wishes to you with this. If you have the time, let us know what you decided to do and how it worked out.