Do I Have A Law Suit?

Question:

I worked for a company for 4 years. My supervisor hired her niece-in-law to work with me when my former co-worker left for Iraq. Three days after this young lady was new to the office, my supervisor started to target me. Shortly thereafter, I was terminated. I was told my behavior was unprofessional. This concerns me because I do have a mental illness and this company advocates for people that have both physical and mental disabilities. I had to have a mental illness to be hired for the job. I feel that my mental disability played a role in my firing. My evaluations were always good (88%). Since my termination, I have learned that my supervisor was terminated.

Could I have a possible lawsuit based on disability discrimination?

Lost My Job

Answer:

Dear Lost My Job:

I am sorry you have been discharged from a job in which you were employed for four years. You ask: Can you sue for being fired for disability discrimination? Our site does not give legal advice and the answer to that question would have to come from an attorney. Do consult a law firm that handles labor matters. Take with you copies of anything given you at the time of your hiring, your evaluations, and a description of what was said or written in your firing. Most attorneys will not charge for a consultation to learn if you have a case of discrimination. You might.

How long ago did this happen? It is important that you do not delay in seeking legal help if that is possible. Meanwhile, what have you learned from this? Have you learned more about your mental illness and what about it related to how you performed your assignments? What was the nature of your work? Did the job description you were given in the beginning make allowance for your mental illness? That is to say were you given work in which it would not interfere? Were the recent assignments changed? These are the kind of questions an attorney will ask. Now, let me be candid with you. The email you sent us was not of the quality that most employers would want submitted if it were in an application. It was filled with mistakes in grammar and composition. I have edited it the best I can without talking with you. Do take the time to compare what you sent us with the revision I made. See if that might help you should you need to prepare a cover letter for a job application. From seeing what you wrote, I am curious about what kind of office job you held down for four years. I hesitate to write about this and do not want to make this time of unemployment more difficult for you. Being fired is difficult. You are not the first nor will you be the last to be fired. The important thing now for you is to learn from this unfortunate experience. When things go badly, that is when we are forced to review why and what we might do in the future to prevent that happening again. Think through what kind of work you can do and seek help, if necessary, in the job hunt that is before you. Contact employment agencies, church and civic organizations that deal with your kind of disability. Please do get back to us. Sharing how you cope with this situation can help others. Meanwhile do not withdraw. Find ways to enrich and enjoy your life: volunteer at a hospital, Habitat For Humanity, tutoring, etc. Sing in a choir, join a reading club, take short courses that improve your skills or just for fun. In short dress for work even though you do not have a job at this time. Does this make sense?

I worked for a company for 4 years. My supervisor hired her niece-in-law to work with me when my former co0worker left for Iraq. Three days after this young lady was new to the office, my supervisor started to target me. Shortly thereafter, I was terminated. I was told my behavior was unprofessional. This concerns me because I do have a mental illness and this company advocates for people that have both physical and mental disabilities. I had to have a mental illness to be hired for the job. I feel that my metal disability played role in my firing. My evaluations were always good (88%). Since my termination, I have learned that my supervisor was terminated.

Could I have a possible lawsuit based on disability discrimination? Lost My Job I am sorry you have been discharged from a job in which you were employed for four years. Can you sue for being fired for disability discrimination? Our site does not give legal advice and the answer to that question would have to come from an attorney. Do consult a law firm that handles labor matters. Take with you copies of anything given you at the time of your hiring, your evaluations, and a description of what was said or written in your firing. Most attorneys will not charge for a consultation to learn if you have a case of discrimination. You might.

My best to you. We are all in this life together and my WEGO signature is a way of saying: Dance like nobody’s watching and we’ll dance with you.