Do Writen Labor Warnings Erase After A Time?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a warning for an injury:

I work for Blue Chip; I got a warning for getting hurt on about three months ago. Then I got another warning about a month later for playing with another coworker. Today the supervisor tried giving me a warning that to me was injustice. I didn’t sign it but I want to know if warnings erase?

Signed, Warned Again

Dear Warned Again:

Warnings aren’t erased automatically unless a company has a policy that after a time they are deleted. Sometimes that is one year; other times that is three years. To the best of my knowledge, there is no law designating when and if warnings are erased. It is obvious you need to request a time-out meeting with your supervisor to discuss your warnings.

Admit what you did wrong those for the first and second warning and learn what you need to do to change your behavior. Should you sign a write up you got today that you think is unjust? Yes. Signing it doesn’t admit guilt. It does acknowledge that you have seen it. And you can submit a letter for your declaring why you think this latest warning is unjust. I assume you are like the rest of us–you need a job. Does this one do more for you than to provide money to keep the wolf from the door? If not, what is important to you that it doesn’t provide? What must a job do to meet your most important needs and wants?

Measure what you are doing now against what you need and want. Then determine to do what you reasonably can to shape your self and/or job to satisfy those needs and wants, or hang in there until you can get the training and experience for a job that does. Don’t allow these warnings to cause you to avoid your supervisor. Now more than before you need to communicate with her/him. Now it is time to make it a habit to discuss assignments. Now it is time to think beyond today. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. If you have not experienced the exhilaration that comes from doing good work with others, isn’t it time to do what you can to make that happen? Feel free to check out these thoughts with coworkers, your supervisor and Human Resources. I will be interested in what you do.