Don’t Want My Name Mentioned In A Complaint

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about criticizing a leader who disparages management: This person also got employees together to go to an outside source to complain about leadership. It is like a mutiny!

We have a person in a leadership role who is putting down our company leaders to other employees in their department and throughout the company. At lunches this person will put management and their decisions down. This person also got employees together to go to an outside source to complain about leadership. It is like a mutiny! I did go to our company leaders and share my concerns and the situations, now they want to write this person up and let him know I told – what should I do? I think he is very destructive to the company, yet do not want to have repercussions from it. Advice?

Signed, Want To Be Anonymous

Dear Want To Be Anonymous:

Have you told the company leaders about your concerns and why you don’t want them to make the complaint as though it is something coming from you alone? Did you give them information about other witnesses? Be adamant about that, so there is no doubt in their mind that you feel your success at work could be placed in jeopardy because of this. It could be that your company leaders aren’t thinking about the awkward situation this creates for you. Or, now that they have your complaint, they may not see a reason to keep you out of it.

From their viewpoint, they know of a problem and they can do whatever it takes to solve it–even if it creates embarrassment for you. But, it could also be that they simply don’t realize how concerned you are.You may find you will simply need to be prepared with a comment that you can use anytime someone asks you about it. “I didn’t like having to say something, but I know I did what was best for the organization. I’m not the only one who feels this way, but I’m just the only one who was willing to say something about it.”

Between now and then, make sure you don’t encourage the negative comments by your own behavior. Move away, don’t smile or encourage sarcasm, don’t agree with negative things. Support higher levels in the company and present another viewpoint. That way your complaint won’t seem hypocritical and you’ll feel that you’ve done what you can do.Unless your bosses change their minds about using your name, this may be a very uncomfortable situation. If you showed the strength to make a needed complaint, you will also have the strength to stand tall about it. Keep your focus on doing your own work well and supporting the good efforts of everyone else.Best wishes to you through this. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.